Chapter Sixteen

Violetta

I hated cops.

I really did.

I'd always thought they were the scum of the earth, but now I had another reason to hate them. 

The fact that they've stopped looking for me.

To be fair, I didn't know they were looking for me at all until a few days ago, but still. They thought I was dead yet here I was, very much alive and equally as miserable.

All of that nonsense aside--like I said before, there was no point in dwelling over something I couldn't change--I still hated cops. Tonight, I hated them because they raided the club. Again.

The Seattle cops did two things very well.

1. Doing the absolute bare minimum but still taking the city's money.

2. Fucking with the club for fun.

I was sure they had better things to do, as they usually did, but they somehow ended up at the club on a random Saturday after getting a supposed "anonymous tip". Every time they raided us it was an anonymous tipster.

The cops raiding us was no big deal aside from it being annoying. Nikolai and Alexei were smart enough to leave their side business out of the club. To the public and the police, the club was straight. I was pretty sure they even paid taxes on it.

The girls at the club (aside from me) were just dancers

They wouldn't find anything illegal here, but it was an annoying damper on my night nonetheless.

"V, what should we do?" Candy asked me.

I spun around to see her, hardly covered in her nurse's outfit. She was supposed to go on stage next. She was also new, so it was a bit funny to see her all freaked out and covering her tits. She was baby-faced and young, with bottle-blonde hair down to her ass-crack. I hated to admit that she looked just like me with my new hair. 

I shrugged, biting down into my gas station hot dog. "I dunno. Wait for them to leave before you start your set."

"That's it?" She asked me, wide-eyed.

Realizing that finishing my hot dog was probably unlikely, I chucked it across the room and tried to land it in the trash can. I missed. Whatever, someone would clean it up later if the cops didn't trample it. 

The back of the club was dimly lit. The dancers all crowded around one another, waiting by the stage entry, unsure of where to go. Usually, they'd turn to Nikolai for direction but since he wasn't here tonight, I was their source of answers. They were all looking at me with Bambi-like eyes, expecting me to have some magical solution for the uninvited cops shuffling through their lockers.

"Hope none of you are carrying," was all I said to them. "The club isn't going down for any of your shit. If it's on you, dump it. If it's in your locker, call your lawyers."

I neglected to mention the part about the club having a lawyer on retainer. Again, we were used to unfair treatment by the cops. We had a lawyer on standby ever since the first raid when one of our girls was found with enough coke to put out a small village. 

The only reason I didn't tell any of the girls that now was because there was no "free" lawyer service. Using the club's lawyers meant they were indebted to Nikolai and Alexei, and I knew firsthand what it looked like to repay a debt you owed them.

"Fuck," Charlotte, one of the older dancers, muttered quickly. I saw her fiddle with her bra, pulling out a small packet of white powder, and then twisted her hands through her braided brown hair, removing a tube.