Twenty One

This chapter contains content that readers might find disturbing. This chapter contains mention of both physical and sexual abuse. Reader discretion is advised. 

Violetta

Seven years ago

"She's a fucking child, Sean!"

"I know that, Beth. But do you really think she played no part in this? She's the only underclassman with a solo, don't you think that's—"

I heard my mother slap my father. The slap bounced against his cheek and echoed through the hallways.

Come on, dad—say it.

I wanted to hear him say what he really thought. My daughter is a slut. I'm a whore who slept with her instructor to advance in class, only I never wanted anything from Nathaniel. Nothing more than what he'd ever given me. He made me feel warm and important like I was more than the weird girl who'd replaced friends with her violin. Nathaniel saw me for who I was and my parents couldn't accept that we were just two people together because we loved each other.

"You're right," I heard my father say beyond my bedroom door. "I just don't know how we're supposed to react to this. They never talked about this in those parenting classes," he tried to laugh.

My mother signed. I could picture her tugging at the ends of her hair like she did when she was stressed. "She was taken advantage of and she probably doesn't even know it. I think she needs to spend some time away. She's never going to move on when...that man is so close."

My breathing began to heavy. My mother spoke of Nathaniel as if he were a monster, but that wasn't what made me so upset. She was going to send me away. To where, I didn't know, but she was so angry at what I'd done she didn't want me at home anymore. I couldn't understand why it was so wrong no matter how much I tried to.

Adults had sex all the time, why was it so wrong when I did?

I knew what I would do—I would prove to them that Nathaniel was a good man. They were only in shock, but they'd come around to the idea of him and me together eventually.

I'd already started thinking about all the things Nathaniel had done for me.

He'd offered me private lessons, he broke me out of my shell and made me a better performer, and he made me understand that people were intimidated by my talent and not me.

Oh.

An unwelcome feeling started to dizzy me. Though I lay atop my plush duvet cover, I felt lightheaded and like I could collapse. All of those things Nathaniel had done for me were just as my dad said. Had I been using Nathaniel to get ahead of my peers? I didn't think so, but now I wasn't so sure.

Nathaniel risked his career for me.

I suddenly felt like I'd been using him.

The sound of a door slamming ripped me from my thoughts. I pulled my fingernails from my mouth, I hadn't even noticed I was biting them. All down my cheek, dry sticky tears clung to my skin. I didn't think I'd stopped crying since the showcase and only realized it then.

"Where is she?" I recognized my brother's voice calling through the home.

"Jace," my mom said. "Now isn't the time."

"Is she in her room?"

Silence.

Then, his footsteps started up the stairs.