f o u r t e e n

Just after sunrise, Daryl woke up. Always being an early riser to get a head start on hunting.  Lenora was still sound asleep. Drool was pooling out of the corner of her mouth where her face was smooshed against the white pillow. He chuckled quietly, relieved that she was still asleep. It wasn't often she woke up without panicking. He hoped she'd remain asleep for at least another hour, enjoying the comfortable bed rather than the ground she was used to. 

A soft knock on the door broke him from his trance. Looking towards the door, he watched as Hershel walked in the room with a fresh set of bandages for his wounds. Noticing Daryl's hard stare, he nodded towards Lenora. 

"Beautiful girl," He noted quietly, doing his best to keep his voice down as to not wake the girl up. "She yours?"

Daryl hesitated for a simple moment, looking back at Lee still fast asleep beside him. From the moment he found her, he knew he'd do everything in his power to protect her and do right by her. So far, he seemed to be keeping that promise. 

"Yeah." Daryl told him. He didn't need to explain himself to the man. Why he had stumbled across the girl in the woods and took her in as his own. 

"Your stitches seem to be holding up well, you'll be able to move around a bit on your own today, but take it easy so you don't tear them." Hershel explained, putting a bandage on his side. "Consider yourself still on bedrest." 

Daryl hummed in acknowledgement as Lenora began to stir from beside him. She slowly lifted her head off of the pillow, wiping the drool from her mouth onto her arm. 

"What time is it?" She grumbled, throwing her head back down onto the pillow and squinting her eyes at the incoming light. 

"Early, I'm sorry to wake you dear." Hershel said, turning to Daryl once more. "I've sent Maggie with some fresh fruit  to your group if you'd like some. The boy in your group is out there too." 

Lenora's head perked up at his words, looking to Daryl as if looking for permission to leave his sight.  The man simply nodded and it took Lenora less than two seconds to get her shoes on and  sprint out the door, Daryl following her at a much slower pace. 

Quickly, Lenora found the basket of peaches and grabbed one for both her and Daryl. She took a bite and smiled as the sweet juice dribbled down her chin. Lee found herself very thankful at finding the farm and all the treasures it held. Try as they might, canned fruit had nothing on fresh fruit. 

"Good morning Lenora, I see you found breakfast." Dale spoke, exiting his RV. The older man had a smile on his face as he greeted her.

"Morning Dale!" She spoke excitedly. Today felt good, like the spell of bad luck they seemed to be having was finally over. "Peaches are my favorite."

"Well, I won't tell if you take a couple extra for yourself and Daryl." Dale spoke, bringing a finger up to his lips before the girl grinned and put a couple more peaches in her shirt. Afterwords running off to the tent she shared with Daryl. Entering the tent she took note of Andrea sitting there and the book that was now by Daryl's side.

"You were trying to protect the group. I get it, we're good." Daryl told the blond woman who was obviously apologizing. Andrea stood up and exited the tent, nodding at Lenora apologetically as well. She felt an enormous amount of guilt in her stomach. Nearly killing a member of the group, one who had provided so much for them at that."But hey,  shoot me again? You best pray I'm dead." 

The redneck turned his head to look at Lenora who outstretched her hand to give him a peach. He shook his head with a laugh. 

"Keep it kid, I know you want to." Daryl told her and she smiled a wicked grin before taking another bite of her own peach. "I see the pile of them in your shirt."