s e v e n

Lenora's dreams were plagued with numerous bad dreams that night. She dreamt of her parents, the biters, that gruesome night at camp.  The tiny girl kept waking up throughout the night. Daryl had heard the girls whimpers, and gasps of breath before she would shoot up out of her sleep breathing heavily and wiping tears from her face, but decided not to do anything in his drunken stupor. 

The next day when she awoke, it was to Daryl shaking her shoulder slightly. Once more, Lenora was sweating. The hair clinging to her forehead proved that. 

"Sorry to wake ya kid, but you were gonna sleep through breakfast." Daryl said with a grunt. Nodding, Lenora got up doing a quick stretch. The man left her in the room alone to get ready and headed to breakfast himself. 

She grabbed a crewneck to put over the shirt she slept in and quickly brushed through her hair with her fingers. Next she threw it into a sloppy braid on either side of her head before pulling on her worn out sneakers. 

Quickly, she walked to catch up to Daryl who was only just down the hallway. "You might be the fastest female I've seen get ready." He said with a chuckle. 

"It's the end of the world," She shrugged lightly. "No one said I had to look good." 

The man and child walked into the dining hall where everyone else is eating a meal of eggs, bacon and other various forms of breakfast foods. Glenn is moaning over the table, very hungover from the previous night. 

Dale is asking the man who helped them questions, and before long the entire group is walking into a big room with computers. Lenora stays behind though. 

"Is it okay if I finish breakfast?" she asks Daryl quietly tugging on his arm. 

"Fine by me." The redneck says with a shrug. "Come find me when yer done." 

Lenora nods, before sitting by herself at the breakfast table and enjoying the silence that surrounds her. She scoops some of the eggs T-dog made onto a plate and two pieces of bacon as well. Grabbing a small bowl of cereal she sits down and enjoys the best breakfast she's had in a long time, even before the turn. 

When she's done, she finds herself wandering around the CDC looking for the group and eventually she finds herself approaching them from behind. Spotting for the redneck that saved her, she shows up next to his side.

Looking up at the screen, she catches a small glimpse of a human brain scan before Jenner shuts it off. 

"You have no idea what it is, do you?" The blond woman named Andrea asks.

Jenner stays quiet for a moment and Lenora wonders what's going on in that head of his. She feels like something is off about the doctor, she just doesn't know what. Looking up at Daryl, she wonders if he has the same feeling too. 

"It could be microbial, viral, parasitic, fungal." Jenner says. 

"Or the wrath of God?" Jacqui asks from her spot leaning on a computer. 

"There is that," Jenner says quietly looking at the floor.

"Somebody must know something." Andrea says coming forward, her voiced laced with upset. "Somebody, somewhere."

"There are others, right?" Carol asks timidly. "Other facilities?"

"There may be some." Jenner tells her unsure. "people like me." 

"But you don't know? How can you not know?" Rick asks him. 

"Everything went down. Communications, directives-- all of it. I've been in the dark for almost a month."