Part 1

"Thank you all for watching! Have a good night!" Janet's melodic, honey-like voice rang through the speakers. She had just landed back on the stage after being up in the air on her jetpack for the last part of her song, accompanied by fireworks. She smiled at her audience and waved. She was received with tremendous applause and cheers. Her younger sister, Bonnie, was cheering the loudest from her front-row seat. After the crowd dispersed and Janet finished signing autographs, she went back into her dressing room and slumped on the chair. She peered at her reflection, smiling. Her makeup had smeared ever so slightly from her stunt, but she looked amazing as ever. She took off her gloves and helmet, shoving them into her wardrobe. Several minutes later, she heard a knock on the door.

"Bonnie? Is that you?"

A voice answered, "No, it's me."

Janet sprang up, almost knocking over a bottle of hair spray in front of her.

"Fang! Come on in."

Fang entered and gave her a hug. "You were amazing, Janet. Here, this is for you." He handed her a bouquet of lilies.

"Aw, you shouldn't have." Janet blushed. If only Fang didn't treat all his friends this way. Then she would have felt special. She loved talking to Fang; he was passionate, loved action, and worked to make his dreams come true.

Janet barely knew what the latest gossip was in Starr Park, since she spent most of her time either with her family or rehearsing for shows. Everything in Starr Park kept changing, and she was always a step behind. Fang was always eager to help her catch up on what he had heard from customers while picking up shifts at Piper's bakery. She pulled up another chair by her makeup counter and gestured for Fang to sit. She pushed her hairdryer out of the way and rearranged some of her supplies. There were some makeup brushes lying around on the counter, and Fang helped put them back in their stand.

They bantered a little. Fang pointed out Janet's short-sleeved outfit and asked how she wasn't cold. It was the start of winter, after all. Janet joked that the love of her fans kept her warm. Finally, she couldn't stand not knowing the Starr Park gossip and asked Fang.

"So, Fang, tell me what's going on in Starr Park."

Fang laughed. "Right now? Don't you want to get some sleep after your big night?"

"Oh, please. I have a big night every other week. Just tell me now."

Fang told Janet about everything he had recently heard: that Jessie ("You know, the girl who lives at the junkyard") apparently had a thing for that lizard kid Leon, that there was a new brawler named Gus no one knew anything about, and that Piper and Byron were supposedly together.

"Wait, Byron? Who's that again?"

"He's the guy who sells poisons at the marketplace. You know– tall, wears a tailored green suit and tiny glasses all the time?" Fang made gestures to illustrate his description.

"Oh, of course! I've seen him before. How has the sheriff not arrested him for selling poison?"

"Well, this is Starr Park– people blow each other up and snipe each other every day. I don't think Colt really cares about that. He's busy chasing Belle and her gang."

Janet mumbled something in agreement. "Isn't Byron way older than Piper? Doesn't Piper have better options? She's a pretty popular socialite, right?"

Fang shrugged. "I don't know. They work together, so maybe they're just together a lot. They might not even be dating." He continued telling Janet about who was into who and how Jacky was escorted out of Barley's the other night for making a scene by cursing at Barley. Before they knew it, half an hour had passed.

"Look at how late it is!" Janet exclaimed. "Thank you for telling me all this, but I think we should both go home. Stu and Bonnie already left." She rose up, and Fang did the same.

Fang gave her another hug. "Janet, since we're such good friends, I wanted to tell you something: I'm in love."

Janet gaped at him. Instead of inquiring who Fang was in love with, she blurted out, "Love? But we're not even adults yet."

Fang laughed that charming laugh of his. All the teen girls in Starr Park loved his laugh and buff physique. "Yeah, maybe you're right. Love is a strong word. I guess you can say I have a crush."

"Who is it? Lola?"

"What? No, why does everyone think that? No– it's... Colette."

"Colette. As in the Colette who works at the gift shop?" Janet asked the question slowly, processing Fang's confession.

"Yeah, but I think she's into someone else. I don't think she really knows me. Well, I just wanted to tell you, Janet, since I know I can trust you. Good night– I'll see you around."

Janet watched Fang leave her dressing room and walk into the dark. Many times, she had watched him hop into Lola's magenta convertible for shoots, but this time, he walked home by himself.