Part 4

Despite what happened with Lola, Fang still remained warm toward Janet. Clearly, he didn't want Lola to get between them. That weekend, Amber was giving a show in a courtyard, and Fang and Janet had bought tickets together before the showdown that transpired at Starr Studios. They had made plans to meet at the show and get dinner afterwards.

Hey, will I see you at the show tonight? Fang had texted.

The last thing Janet wanted was to spend an hour with Fang after ruining his friendship with Lola. She knew that she would have to face him eventually, though.

Of course! Meet you there, she replied.

It wasn't exactly a full house. Only a couple dozen spectators occupied the plastic folded chairs in front of the stage. Janet had spent some time debating not showing up, so she arrived just as the show was about to start. She barely managed to say "Hi" to Fang after finding a seat next to him in the front row before Amber greeted her audience and started performing. What a show it was! She tossed her two sticks up into the air and caught them with one hand. She twirled and swung them around, somehow managing to not set herself on fire. Amber somehow continued the act for a half hour, performing dazzling tricks that made Janet completely forget her worries until the sound of clapping pulled her back into reality.

Amber bowed. Despite the chill, she was covered in sweat at that point. "Thank you! I love you all, my wonderful fans! I hope I managed to de-light you today!"

Everyone started to get up and leave. Fang picked up the bag of popcorn he had been munching on and began to stand.

"Wait," Janet said, gesturing for him to sit back down. "Can you stay for just a second?"

Fang nodded and sat back down.

"Fang, I never got to apologize properly. I'm really, really sorry about what happened with Lola. I know you guys were good friends, and I didn't mean to make her mad and drive her away. I feel like such a terrible friend."

To her surprise, Fang laughed. "Don't worry, Janet! I didn't realize it was upsetting you that much. Trust me– it's okay. Lola's too focused on herself to remember what others have said to her. She was just being dramatic, so we're still friends. Besides, she was just offered a part in another movie, so she can't take the role you auditioned for anyway."

Janet felt relieved. "Oh, all right then. So... you're still friends? Nothing changed?"

"Nah, we're good. Besides, we were never really that close. We just hung out a lot because we liked each others' company. We never had deep conversations or anything like that."

Janet was about to respond when a voice called, "Fang! Is that you?"

They both turned to see who it was. A girl came running toward them from the left– it was Amber. She had a thick red sweater pulled over her costume. "Fang! I thought I recognized you in the front row! I'm Amber, but I guess you already know that. I'm a huge fan of your work. Wanna come with me for a bit?"

Fang and Janet both got up and followed Amber. She frowned at Janet– clearly, she only wanted Fang to come with her. She led them to an upstairs room in a nearby building.

"This is our backstage area," she explained, opening the door. Poco and El Primo were sitting at a table inside.

"Welcome back, Amber!" Poco said. "How was the show?"

"It was good! I have friends with me. Come this way– my dressing room is over here."

She led them into a dressing room the same size as Janet's but more heavily decorated. A rug covered most of the floor. On one side of the room was a long couch covered with pillows. Next to it was an elegant floor lamp. Autographed posters of brawlers covered the walls. Colette would have been jealous. Oh, right– Colette! How would she have felt when she found out that Amber had invited Fang and Janet backstage? If only she were there with them.

"Please, sit here!" Amber made herself comfortable on the couch and gestured for Fang to join. "Sorry, there's only room for two here," Amber said to Janet with feigned regret. "You can take the chair in front of my makeup counter, though." What a liar. The couch was long enough to fit at least four. Janet wondered if Amber was used to bringing back unsuspecting members of her audience.

"Um, you sure I can't squeeze in? The couch looks pretty big." Janet was used to using assertiveness to get what she wanted.

Before the argument could continue, Fang piped up, "No worries! Janet can have the couch. I'll take the chair." He started to get up, but Amber stuck out her arm in front of him. "No, no. Stay where you are."

An awkward silence followed. Janet took her seat on the chair while Amber examined her friend with just a little too much interest.

"So, Fang," Amber started. There was a strange, mesmerized quality in her voice. "It must be fate that we've finally met. I've read about you in Starr Times. Everyone wonders how you got so buff and flexible. What did they call you? The most promising aspiring actor of Brawllywood when it comes to martial arts?"

Fang laughed. "Aw, they were being too generous. If I really lived up to that name, I wouldn't be working at the movie theater or picking up shifts at Piper's bakery!"

Amber waved her hand in a dismissive gesture. "Please, have some pride! You know, we have a lot in common. We're both action-oriented performers with promising futures. If only people would notice our talents. We could be flamous one day!" She laughed at her own pun. "Forget whatever plans you had for the rest of the night. Come with me to my place, and we can... hmm... discuss our futures together!" She flashed Fang a smile that was almost as bright as her hair. She really put Colette to shame.

Janet cleared her throat. Had they forgotten that she was there? "Ahem. I think I should probably leave now. Fang, I'll see you later."

"Oh, I'll come too! Sorry, Amber, but Janet and I had plans to get dinner together."

Amber looked crestfallen. Janet, not wanting to get in the way of yet another friendship, said, "It's fine, Fang. We can get dinner another time. You can go with Amber."

"Yes, that's right! We have so much to talk about, Fang. Come with me, and we'll have the time of our lives." She looked a little too excited.

"Um, no thanks, Amber. I'm gonna go with Janet. Maybe I'll see you another time." Without looking back, Janet and Fang left the dressing room and made their way out of the building.