Part 5

Fang and Janet walked in silence to the restaurant. It wasn't until after they sat down and ordered their food when Janet finally spoke to her friend.

"You know she was into you, right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I know."

Another short silence followed.

Janet continued, "Why didn't you go along? I mean, she's really hot– literally. Is it because of Colette?"

"Um, sort of. I'm still into Colette, but it's not entirely because of that. Amber– she seems too passionate."

"Too passionate?" Janet echoed. "I thought you liked passion. Isn't that why you like Colette?"

"Well, yeah. The thing with Amber though– she probably falls for someone too hard and dedicates herself entirely to them. Then, she decides she's in love with someone else and does the same thing."

How did Fang deduce all that? Janet didn't know he was such a good judge of character. He had lots of friends because of his easygoing personality, so Janet assumed he liked everyone and saw the best in them. It was unusual for him to push someone away like he did with Amber.

Fang continued, "Besides, I only date girls who like me because they've gotten to know me. Amber's already got some fantasy about what our relationship would look like, even though we don't really know each other."

The mood for the meal was dismal. They picked at their food mostly in silence. This was so unlike Fang– he was usually uplifting and cheerful. The frown and spaced-out gaze didn't suit him. That darned Amber– why did she have to do what she did? Finally, the long, torturous meal was over.

They paid and left the building then stood outside on the sidewalk.

Janet said, "I'm sorry about everything. It was such a terrible evening."

"No, no. Please don't be. I was just upset because of how sudden everything was. It was–"

Barely realizing what she was doing, Janet grabbed Fang by the shirt and pulled him in. She kissed him for what felt like an eternity but was probably just a few seconds. Was he kissing her back? She couldn't tell. Finally, Janet let go. Her face felt very warm, and her heart was beating rapidly. She couldn't look at her friend. Instead, she ran off. What was she thinking? One of the prettiest brawlers of Starr Park had just tried to seduce her friend, and Janet came out of nowhere and kissed him, knowing he was into someone else? All of this right after she just patched up with him? She hadn't realized how she felt about Fang until she watched Amber take an interest in him. She had felt a pang of jealousy unlike anything else. She could picture Fang with Amber so well– they would make so much sense together. She didn't want him with Amber or Colette– he should be with her instead.