Chapter 5 - What's a Good Name for a Teddy Bear?

Mitch's POV

Scott and Doctor Carr left, leaving me alone with me and my teddy bear. I should name him. I thought. What's a good name for a teddy bear?

I studied the stuffed animal, staring into its black, beady eyes.

"You're the only company I have right now, Mr. Teddy Bear." I whispered. "Do teddy bears have genders? I'm making you a boy. You are now officially of the male sex."

The teddy bear just stared at me with that small, permanent smile on his face.

"What would you like your name to be?" I asked him. "Perhaps Paul? Maybe Nikolai? How about Mike?" I smiled. "I shall name you Mike. I just really like that name. I'm not sure why. I don't know any Mikes. Or do I? Well, I do know you Mike."

I sighed and hugged Mike to my chest.

"It's lonely here, Mike. The people come in and ask me questions I don't know the answer to. And it also smells really weird. And I don't know who I am. They tell me my name is Mitch Grassi. Then they told me I died two years ago. Then how am I here if I'm dead? Have I been given a second chance at life?"

I sighed again and hugged Mike tighter.

"I'm glad I have you, though, Mike." I puffed air, my hair flying slightly. "They say I'm 22 years old and here I am talking to a teddy bear."

I released Mike from my tight embrace and held him out. The sunlight filtering through the window shone in his bead eyes.

I sang the mysterious song again.

Why do I know this song? It's in a foreign language. Spanish? Italian? Portuguese? I wasn't sure. But when I was singing it earlier, Scott was mystified and Doctor Carr was on the verge of tears. Why?

Ever since I fell I've been asking countless questions.

Who am I?

Why am I here?

Why don't I know anything about myself?

Why did Scott save me?

Why did I fall in the first place?

Why are all these strange memories coming up?

How am I here if I've been dead for two years?

Why did I have to die before?

I closed my eyes and lied down in my bed, sighing.

I fell asleep to the beeping of my heart monitor.