Chapter 7 - The Road to Recovery

Over 100 reads already?! Bruh, that's amazing! Thank y'all somaj! *blows you a kiss*

_________

Mitch's POV

The next day, the doctors try to jog my memory.

They bring in two people that I don't recognize.

"Mitchell!" They cry, running and throwing themselves on me. They were bawling their eyes out.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I... don't know who either of you are."

Their heads shot up.

"B-but you have to!" says the bald man with a pretty cool mustache. "We're your parents..."

I studied their faces, but I was still drawing a blank. "I-I'm sorry. I don't remember..."

The woman lets out a sob and buries her face in her husband's shoulder. "My precious baby boy," She bawled.

"We'll be okay, honey." The husband soothes, rubbing her arms. "We always are."

I couldn't help but feel guilty. These people were obviously my parents, and if I did die, they must've been heartbroken. Now I'm back and I don't even remember them.

I looked down at my hands as I listened to the woman's sobs and the man's comforting words.

I felt so terrible. These people raised me into the man I was before. They still raised this version of me. He just didn't remember.

I sniffled, tears filling my eyes. "I'm s-sorry," I choked out between sobs. "I wish I recognized you but I don't. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

I buried my face in my hands, feeling tears fall onto my fingers and rolling down onto my palm.

"What do, well, what did I call you?" I asked, lifting my head from my hands.

"You called me Mike." The man says. "'Dad' was reserved for cute boys." He added with a chuckle.

"Mike..." I said. "That's what I named my teddy bear." I held up my teddy bear to show them.

"Why did you name it Mike?" My father asks, taking the teddy bear and studying it.

I shrugged, sniffling. "I dunno. I just really liked the name."

"Should we tell the doctor this, Mike?" My mother asks.

"Doctor!"

Doctor Carr came in. "Is something wrong?"

My father walked up to her with the teddy bear. "He named this teddy bear Mike. My name is Mike. Does that mean anything?"

Doctor Carr bit her lip. "It probably means he has some memories deep within his head."

"Then why didn't he recognize me?" My father asks.

Doctor Carr shrugs. "Amnesia's weird sometimes, Mr. Grassi. I can't tell you anything for sure. All I can tell you that Mitch is on the road to recovery."

__________

This was a short chapter, I know, but I thought this was one was nice and sentimental. So yeah.

-Spontaneous_Soprano