Chapter 9 - Moving In

Scott's POV

Mitch was released from the hospital after three months.

I led him to my car so I could take him to my place.

"Do your parents know that you're moving in with me?" I asked as I started the car.

Mitch shook his head. "I wonder if they still have some of my old stuff..."

I shrugged. "Maybe. We'll figure it out."

Mitch nods.

I pull out of the hospital parking lot and merge onto the highway.

I saw Mitch gazing out the car window, watching the hospital slowly blend in with the urbanization.

He looks forward, his eyes flitting around as he marveled at the cityscape around him.

"It's so different than how I remember it..." Mitch whispers.

"Things have changed since 2013." I replied with a smile.

"They must have." Mitch says, shaking his head slightly.

We were silent for a few minutes before Mitch spoke up. "Tell me about your house."

"I live in an apartment with my cat, Wyatt." I told him.

Mitch gasped loudly, grabbing my arm. "You have a cat?! I love cats! What kind of cat do you have?" He says in one excited breath.

I chuckled. "He's a sphynx cat."

Mitch gasped louder. "I have always wanted a sphynx cat!!"

I couldn't help but laugh. "Wyatt'll love you."

"Oh, I can't wait to see him!" Mitch squealed.

"Well we're only about 10 minutes away from my apartment, so you won't have to wait much longer."

"Really?!" Mitch exclaimed.

"Yes, really, Mitch. And once we get to the apartment we'll have to ask your parents if they have anything of yours you may need."

"All right. But I think they've left for Texas already..." Mitch replies, twiddling his thumbs.

"Oh, you're from Texas? Where?"

"Arlington."

I nearly swerved. "You're from Arlington?!"

"Y-yes, why?" Mitch asks, stammering and recovering from the sudden shock.

"I'm from Arlington!" I exclaimed. "Did you go to Martin High?"

"Where else would I go?" Mitch replies.

"How come we never met each other?" I asked.

"Well when's your birthday? I was born in July so I was held back a grade." Mitch replies.

"Oh, I was born in September. I may have been a grade ahead of you."

I was so engaged in conversation with Mitch that I nearly passed my apartment building.

"Here it is." I said, taking the keys out of the ignition. "Home sweet home."

"Swanky," Mitch says, smiling. He unbuckles and follows me into the building.

We stepped into the elevator and I pressed the button marked with a 24.

"24th floor?" Mitch says. "That's pretty high..."

Oh no, I didn't think about that!

"Is... is that a problem, Mitch?"

Mitch shook his head. "Oh, no, not at all. I was just noticing."