20. Part

20. Part

The person, who was beside the car, walked away.

I heard Len's and Ryuko's shallow and silenced breathing, before Len pushed a part of the sheet covering him aside and gazed out.

We could hear my master's dissatisfied voice when he stopped in his tracks, before the sounds, which his footsteps were creating, started to fade in the distance.

"Damn! Should've payed more attention."

"Get out," Len looked over his shoulder as he, quietly, commanded us.
Ryuko pushed the blanket aside, before he stepped out and his feet landed on the dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

I followed after him, and I almost fell facing the ground, but someone's arms wrapped around me, assuring I would get off unharmed. I felt shivers run down my spine at feeling someone's touch.

I felt my feet land on the soft, covered in many fallen leaves, ground in the middle of a forest as the trees, that were turning all sorts of different colors, towered all around me.
I looked up, and I could see Ryuko's sea blue eyes as he let go of me and he backed away from where I stood.

When I, quickly, turned around to see Len, I could see he was already standing with his feet planted on the ground.

I turned my head to look for the man, who calls himself my master, and noticed he was strolling towards a forest clearance behind the trees.
There was a creek in the woods that was running further into the opened space, and seeing water brought my thoughts to the time I was stuck in the water filled glass box.

Trying not to think of the water I could nearly feel all around me, I took a deep breath to calm my mind from the memory that lingered within my dark mind.

My hair has dried since the moment we got on the car, but I was still a bit cold as my slightly messy hair flew in the breeze.

I could still feel myself, to a certain extent, tremble from the time I ran a dagger across someone's throat and rid him of his life.

I took a life.

Can one ever move on from this? Such a thing as killing?

I'm a killer.

My whole world was turning at the thought of what happened, and although I wasn't sure what could have happened if I didn't stop the man from before, I could not do anything else than blame myself.
And I was sure that no matter how long I will live, I will think about that for the rest of my life. Forever.
Whether or not it was for a good cause, didn't entirely matter.

I still took a life.

Len began walking forward, which made Ryuko follow right in his footsteps, and I, with hesitance in any of my movement, slowly joined them.

The man stopped his steps far enough for us to have a possible chance at going unnoticed, and I understood I may have a chance at running away, at this very point in time, if I brought my legs to cooperate with my need for a life free of the pure misery I have been experiencing.

Why are we free of chains, not in the Circus, yet we're not running for our lives?

I ran my hand across one of the taller trees on the edge of the forest, but I could not feel the slightly colder wood against my pale skin, as my arms were still well covered in the long black gloves.
As I peeked out from behind, my gaze fell onto the body of water my tormentor was standing next to, and into which the creek was flowing.

My master stood there with his back turned to us, with his sight focused into the distance, until several moments later, I could see another man coming out from the other side of the forest, stepping into the clearance.
I could not tell if his hair was just really dark brown, or actually black, and he was nearing the person who, unknowingly, drove us here.