Two.

"Kate...?"

"Oh my god! Y/N! It's so good to see you again!" Kate beamed as she went up and hugged Y/N.

Y/N awkwardly hugged her back as she hummed in agreement.

"Oh, you've met Kate before?" Clint questioned

"Yeah, we knew each other in high school." Y/N chose not to expand on the topic.

"Well, since you two know each other, you guys can share a room, " Clint suggested.

Great...

Y/N let out a sigh as she turned her head to Kate.

"So, got any luggage," Y/N asked Kate with little to no interest in her tone.  The raven-haired girl winced at the coldness of Y/N's voice. Nevertheless,  she couldn't blame her. Kate broke up with Y/N on such short notice. It was as if they were a happy couple the week prior, then bam, breakup.

As Y/N led kate to her room, there was an awkward tension between the two. Neither of them spoke a word until they got to Y/N's room. For Kate, it was miserable, yet understandable.

"You can put your stuff in the closet and sleep on the trundle," Y/N instructed as she pulled out the mattress. Y/N was just about to leave when Kate grabbed Y/N's wrist.

"Wait," Kate requested, "We need to talk, about us."

"What is there to talk about?" Y/N snapped, tears threatening to fall, "We broke up and that's that." It was truly amazing how Y/N still couldn't get over Kate after 5 years.

"Y/N, I-" Kate pleaded as she spun Y/N around.

"Stop it!" Y/N interrupted harshly, "There is nothing - and I mean nothing - between us! Leave it alone!"

Kate looked at her, stunned. In all their years of dating, Kate has never seen Y/N this frustrated and harsh.

Y/N then angrily walked out the door, not looking back. She arrived at the family's private training in the basement. The training room was small, but it had all the necessities.

Although Y/N wasn't in workout clothes, it was ok. Throwing a few punches always relieved her. However, all of her anger lingered up to the point when the punching bag started to break. Y/N sighed as she decided it would be a good time to stop.

Y/N slowly walked back upstairs with a towel draped around her shoulders.

"Hey, kid. What's up?" Clint asked as Y/N entered the kitchen. There, Clint was drinking some coffee with leftover gingerbread.

"Yeah, nothing much. Kate moving in was a bit of a surprise," Y/N replied as she grabbed her water from the fridge.

"Oh, yeah, about that. It's not bothering you too much, is it?"

"No, it's fine," Y/N said, "I'm moving back to New York after New Year's, so it's ok." Y/N has been working with the new S.H.E.I.L.D base in New York ever since it opened. She's been trained under her father and all of the other Avengers for as long as she can remember.

Y/N made her way to her bedroom, only to find Kate on her trundle, staring at the ceiling. Y/N tried to pay minimal attention to Kate as she placed her water bottle on her desk.

"Hey, I know you said all that stuff about not wanting to talk, but I really need to," Kate said out of nowhere. Y/N let out a sigh of defeat.

"Fine. What is it?" Y/N questioned as she sat next to kate

"So, I, um. You know how I broke up with you, like, 5 years ago?"

"How could I forget," Y/N said sarcastically while rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm am, so, so sorry about that," Kate said, turning her head to face Y/N.

Y/N looked at Kate in disbelief.

"You're sorry...?" Y/N asked, anger trailing behind her words.

Kate simply nodded in response.

"Really? Because that day, you didn't seem sorry," Y/N said as anger started to bleed into her voice, "You just left me there, in the hallway. I was so confused. It took me years to process what had happened, and after the Blip, it was even harder. You left me and now you want to apologize. And the worst part is, I was considering accepting!"

"I understand why you can't forgive me," Kate said, "But I still like you, Y/N. And I won't stop until we're together again."

This girl can't be serious... Y/N thought. A large sigh escaped her lips as she flopped down on the bed, hands covering her face.

"I don't know what to think anymore," Y/N said in almost a whisper, "I've always liked you. Ever since the 9th grade. And then we split up, which absolutely broke me. And now you're saying you still like me. I'm just so tired of everything." Finally, Y/N let her guard down. Y/N let out all the pent-up anger she had held for five years. 

"I'm just so tired..." Y/N repeated.

A/N- I didn't know how to end this chapter lmao

not proof-read

Word count: 785