Seven.

"So, Y/N. This is your time to start explaining. I'll start with a simple question, first. Why were you fighting Kingpin in New York City?" Clint asked sternly.

Y/N didn't know how to answer this. Clint didn't know Y/N was an agent for S.H.I.E.L.D, let alone got frequent missions from them, so how was Y/N supposed to explain this situation to him? He knew Y/N would never intentionally leave, as did the rest of her family, so anything that she could make up would automatically be suspicious. After exploring many more possible solutions, Y/N concluded that coming clean was the only way she was going to get by her father.

"This isn't exactly easy to explain," Y/N chuckled truthfully. "I've been a member of SHIELD for about...I don't know, five, seven years? This was one of my missions."

"Wait, wait, what? You were a member of SHIELD? For seven years?! And you didn't tell me?!" Kate asked offendedly.

"Well, I don't exactly advertise it...and the first two years were as an intern," Y/N mumbled as she averted Kate's shocked stare.

"Hold on. Take a few steps back. How'd you get an internship at seventeen without parental consent?" Her father exclaimed.

Y/N let out a long, exhausted sigh as she didn't want to remember that time.

"Aunt Nat signed it for me. You weren't exactly around to sign." Y/N was referring to how Clint became the Ronin during the blip. Y/N sought to do good in the world during a desperate time of need, so she signed up for the internship. Clint technically had the same idea, but achieved it with much harsher methods.

Clint sighed. "Did at least beat Kingpin?" He asked tiredly.

"Hell yeah, I did. Unlike you people, I got my shit together in one night," Y/N remarked proudly.

"Language," Clint warned. Y/N suddenly burst out laughing.

"Did you seriously just say 'language', Dad?" Y/N breathed out in between laughs. "That's Cap's thing!"

" 'Cap', as in Captain America? Again, you never told me you met him, or you met the Black Widow, or that Hawkeye was your dad," Kate said shocked.

"Ah, well, it never came up," Y/N replied while catching her breath. Kate let out a small chuckle as they pulled up to the hospital.

While Clint, Y/N, and Kate climbed out of the car, Clint asked one more question. "How on Earth did you beat Kingpin by yourself?"

Y/N shrugged. "It was really hard. I honestly have no idea," She replied honestly.

Y/N and Kate sat in the waiting room as Clint was talking to the lady at the desk. It was awkward to say the least. A little too awkward for Y/N's taste, so she decided to start some conversation.

"You seemed worried. I appreciate it, but why?" Y/N asked, looking straight ahead.

Kate didn't hesitate as she answered. "Because I care for you, Y/N. More than anything in the world. And mark my words, I will do anything to get you back."

Y/N let out a light-hearted chuckle. "Good luck with that, Sunshine." Kate took a double take as she couldn't believe what she was hearin.

"Really? Sunshine? That's what my kindergarten teacher called me," Kate scoffed as a smile formed on her lips.

"Yeah, Sunshine. 'Cause your smile's as bright as the sun," Y/n replied playfully.

"Oh, my god..." Kate chuckled.

"Stop flirting you two," Clint said as he walked over to the duo. "Y/N, you're getting your shoulder fixed in half an hour. We have to wait here, so I'm gonna use the bathroom. Stay put."

Y/N nodded as he watched her father walk to the restroom. There was another few minutes of silence until Kate broke it.

"So, have you come out yet?" She asked curiously. Y/N chuckled at the small memory she had forgotten.

"I mean, sort of," Y/N began to explain. "I didn't exactly. But in 2018, I was walking around the Avenger's campus until I came across a completely dark room. I was so confused, so when I turned on the light, I got a real shock. All of the Avengers were there, plus my family, and they all screamed 'surprise'. Tony had set up this 'Coming Out Party', and I didn't know if I was horrified or glad that he did this. He hung this big banner that said 'We All Know You're Not Straight', and there was cake, balloons, and a bunch of other stuff. Sam gave me a big pat on the back and I was at a literal loss for words. I was so shocked, I ended up turning off the lights and walking back out. As I did so, I heard Aunt Nat say 'I knew this was too much!', so I just walked back in, grabbed a slice of cake, and left again. It was definitely an experience, but I'm happy I didn't have to go through the trouble of coming out on my own."

Clint arrived just as Y/N finished her story, not giving Kate a chance to reply.

"How's your shoulder?" Clint asked as he sat down next to Y/N.

"It's fine. It hurts, but it's fine for the most part," Y/N replied with a shrug.

Clint let out a long and tired sigh. "I would ground you, but you're an adult, so I can't. But what you did was very dangerous and irresponsible. Next time, tell me if you have a mission like this so I can help you," He lectured as Y/N slumped in her chair.

"Yeah, I mean. When you called me, you didn't really say much. It would help to communicate," Kate mumbled.

The conversation paused as Clint took in this new information. "You called Kate, but not me or your mother?" He asked while he arched a brow.

Y/N panicked as she tried to come up with an excuse. "Well, I mean- Kate's my friend-"

"Girlfriend," Kate whispered.

"Oh my god, shut up, that's not true," Y/N rushed as she tried to explain. "The point is, sometimes I want to tell Kate things I wouldn't necessarily tell you and Mom."

"Oh, really?" Clint asked sarcastically. Y/N gulped as she instantly regretted her words

"Y/N Barton?" The secretary asked. Y/N picked her head up as she was eager to get out of the conversation. "The Doctor's ready for you. I'll walk you down."

Y/N internally sighed in relief as she walked over to the secretary and got led to the surgery room. She had never been more happy to get away from a conversation.

Word Count:1128