4 | FAMILY MEETINGS

ROXANNA

Being back at home was annoying, especially when there is a birthday to celebrate. This time it was my aunts and everyone was here. Uncles I've never seen before, their kids, my parents and grandparents. Simply everyone. Even my cousin, who is only eight years older than me, but acts like a crazy teenager. Right now, I was sitting in my room, waiting for the other guests to arrive, so we could sing for my aunt and eat the giant food bar, they all came up with. I was also talking to Luke on the phone, which kept me preoccupied, while I was in my room, with nothing left to do.

"How's my girl doing?" I can hear his soft smile behind the device and it makes me miss him even more. "I'm fine. Waiting for the other guests to arrive. How are you doing?" I ask, playing with my black tight dress. "I'm good, Calum and I are sitting on the balcony. We're drinking a beer." he laughs, when I chuckle. "Say hi to Calum for me." I plead, when I hear a small laugh, which came from Calum. "You're on speaker, darling. But hey." Calum tells me and I chuckle softly.

Just when I was about to say something, Jessica, my cousin slammed into the room, a big smile on her face when she saw me. "Oh my God, look at you, Roxy! You've grown!" she squealed, but when she saw me on the phone, she smirked and wiggled with her eyebrows. "What do you want, Jess? I'm talking on the phone." I sighed and ruffled over my black hair. "Who are you talking to? Boyfriend?" she teased and I shook my head. "Get out." I begged, when I hear Luke and Calum snickering. "Boyfriend?" Luke grins, making me panic out. "Does your mother know?" she couldn't stop bothering me with questions. "Jess, please. Get out." I begged and sighed in frustration. "We can talk later, pretty girl." Luke speaks reassuringly and I sigh. "No, I want to speak with you now." I pushed Jessica out of my room, just as I locked the door. "It's fine, you got a full house." he was understandable about everything, which nearly made me cry. "But," I stopped, sighing. "Fine." I mumbled and after hanging up, I saw a text message from Luke.

Text me when you're alone, gorgeous. xx

I send a thumbs up back and sit on my desk. I hate Jessica. She always tries to push me into the edge, until I do something I don't want to do. My mother always speaks highly of her, probably because she likes her more than me, her own daughter. And every time, I tell her about how Jess makes me feel, my mother says I overreact and that she is family.

"Roxanna!" my mother called me downstairs, when I put my phone in my pocket and jogged downstairs. "Why did you lock your door in Jessica's face?" her voice was warningly. "Because I had a call and she just ran into my room, without knocking." I scoffed, earning a glare from my mom. "I don't care, if she wants to come in your room, then you'll let her. She's your cousin." her pointer finger points at me and suddenly I feel so small. "That's not fair." I scoff back, making her raise her eyebrows. "Roxanna, stop being so childish. Now put those plates onto the table." she passes me a stack of plates and I only sighed, putting them onto the table, as I sat down to the others.

Everyone started singing, everyone but me. I felt so left out, because every time we had this big family reunion, everyone likes Jess better or talks about her. As if she's number one topic to talk about. It's annoying at this point, because my grandpa always criticizes what I study and since Jess is a teacher in a high school and I only study English Literature everyone wants me to be a teacher too.

"Jess, are you still in the same high school?" my mother asks, as everyone started eating. "Yes, I am. I just got a promotion and I have my own class now!" Jess tells back, excited about the news. "That's amazing, dear. See, Rox. You could be a teacher too, but instead you study English Literature." my mother rolled with her eyes and I clench my jaw, pushing my chair back. "Well, why aren't you a teacher then?" I fired back, making everyone fell into a shocked silence. "No, honestly, I'm sick of it. Jess is always better than me. Oh, she's a teacher, be a teacher too, Roxanna. Oh, don't study English Literature, you can't do anything after that. Why don't you all just mind your business and let me fucking study, what I want!" I got louder with everyone and now I was in need of more than one drink.