×Four×

Before Zur knew it, school was letting out. It would be a miracle if he even came back. Rayn was at his side as they walked out of the double doors they had entered through that same morning.
"Do you have a place to stay?" He asked.
"I'm not sure to be honest." Zur responded
"You could stay with me. I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind." Rayn said happily.
How could he tell him no. He made Zur feel like he'd never felt before. He had perfect peach skin, his hair looked like it would be soft to hold in his hand. His eyes were an abyss, solid black as the robe Zur once wore. His hair was red and freckles sprayed across one side of his face. He was a few inches shorter than Zur who was six feet even. Blissful to look at. Zur hadn't even seen what he looked like himself.
"Sure... I'll stay with you if it's okay." He finally responded.
Rayn smiled and began walking, zur following behind him. What was this feeling he had and why wouldn't it go away? Deep down however, he didn't want it to go away. But he couldn't pursue the feeling. Zur was a reaper. Infinitely aged. Even if he was in a 17 year Olds body. Rayn was just 17, nothing special. So much more life ahead of him. These feeling would need to disappear. Zur looked down and sighed quietly. Why...
Why was I ever a reaper?

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

After a few minutes of walking they came up to a very ordinary looking home with white siding and a navy blue roof. Nothing fancy but it looked cozy and welcoming. Rayn nudged Zurs side.
"Well here's the pad. My mom should be home come in."
Zur followed closely behind and walked inside with Rayn right in front of him. The house was in fact, very cozy and welcoming. The door shut behind Zur and the most beautiful woman he had ever seen walked into view. She was stunning, but very familiar.
"Zur, it is good to finally meet you." Her voice was sweet like a flowing river of honey. But, how did she know his name.
"Mom. This is the one I was telling you about." Rayn said hugging the woman.
"I see. It must be awful, thrown into a place not knowing where you are."
Zur was beyond confused.
"Wait- what?" Zur started.
"Hush child of the shadows. Sit I'll explain." Said the woman.
Zur sat down, his heart racing. What was going on.
The woman sat next to him with a comforting smile.
"I am Sun-"
"Mother of life!" Zur interrupted. This woman. Her son. Where life itself! That's why she was familiar he had seen her on many occasions giving life. Impending on his work. He remembered a specific job he had. Where she had beaten him to the punch.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

It was warm outside. Late April possibly. Reapers didn't keep calenders. Zur trudged through the leaves scythe in hand using it as to not slip.
It was a simple passage, a forest fire had broken out and a fireman never got the help she had requested. Zur assumed she would be waiting for him.
When he had made it to the clearing of burnt sticks, trees and brush there she sat with the soul of the woman who had lost her life in that moment.
"Sun..." He said standing next to her.
"Not yet. She's not ready."
The woman was starting at her body, gentle tears streamed from her face.
"I- did we stop the fire?." She asked.
Sun nodded and rubbed the woman's shoulder. The woman looked at Zur and shuddered.
"Am I too far gone?"
Zur shook his head
"Not yet hero..."
The woman was sitting on the ground inside of her own body half of her soul clinging to the last life she had.
They sat with the woman for hours. Mostly silent. Until the inevitable happened. Her should fully released from her body she was standing over her corpse. Completly soul.
"I think....I think I'm ready now." She said.
The walk to the stairs was deafeningly silent. But the woman walked the stairs waving goodbye.
"Thank you Sun." Zur said knowing he wouldn't have the patience she had.

That was the last time Zur saw the Mother of life.