×One×

"It's freezing..." said a small shaky voice from close to the ground. Zur had only nodded, not keeping a conversation or caring enough to see what soul he was giving passage.
"Excuse me-?" Came the voice again.
Zur glanced down at the small figure who was shaking vigorously and turning even more blue than when he had found them.
"It'll only be cold for a little while longer." He said turning his gaze back to the road. He hated walking with children. Not because they were an annoyance but because they were small, full of life. It was silent for a while until the voice spoke again, this time more strained.
"What did I do wrong?"
Zur stopped in his tracks. This was a question he couldn't answer or explain to children. They never did anything wrong, but the mere thought that the children had believed in such lies boiled his blood. He stooped down and looked at the child.
"You've done nothing wrong. An unfortunate turn of events pulled you from your body. You'll find peace soon."
The child tried to smile but shook violently with chills.
"M-my name is Reece." The child said.
"I am Reaper 566 Zur Opaka." Came the response.
Silence once more filled the radius.
The destination was, for conversation sake, the stairway to heaven. The marble steps gleamed in the early sunlight, dew drops formed on the grass at the base of the grand stair well.
"This is where we part ways Reece." Zur said looking down at the child who was gazing upon the majestic staircase.
"Will you go with me?" Reece asked hopefully.
"I cannot... it is against my code. We are not allowed to step on the stairs of heaven." Zur responded.
"Has anyone tried?"
The question made Zur stop. Has anyone tried? Why was it forbidden? Many other questions started roaming around until the child touched his hand.
"I'm afraid.."
Zur's expression shifted from nonchalant to concern. Who would know he helped this soul walk the stairs?
And with that they both placed one foot on the first step.