xFivex

Zur was still very confused as they all sat around together.
"Well... Rayn how did you know?" He asked
"I'm the son of life. I can sense when new life forms near me." Rayn responded with a smile making Zur burn inside with butterflies.
He shifted his weight and looked at Sun.
"Well I know why you would know. But do you know why I'm here?"
Sun tilted her head slightly and shook her head.
"Explain to me what happened."
Zur nodded.
"I was sent to give passage to a child who had been left at a bus stop. He froze to death... when we arrived at the stairs, he asked me to walk with him to the gate. I couldn't say no. He was afraid."
"You never did like when someone said they were afraid." Sun said nodding to his story.
"As soon as I touched the stairs however, I was in this room where I could hear the higher ups. They ruled me as guilty. And I woke up to Rayn standing over me."
There was a pause of silence. The Sun stood up and walked over to the mantle above the grand fireplace. She reached into a small area behind a photo on the wall and brought over a black book that looked as if it had been burned.
"There was only one other Reaper that dared step foot onto the stairs. This was before the rule was made forbidding it. Lolan.  Reaper 22 had fallen in love with a soul he had been tasked with giving passage, he staled for a very long time. Years. Centuries even. She bore him a child and decided she wanted to go to the stairs. He went with her. When they arrived at the gate. St. Peter refused to let him, a, ...Quote "monstrous demon" end quote...into heaven to be with his lover and child. Lolan then struck St. Peter down with his scythe with such force, the gates bent inward and St. Peter disappeared."
Zur looked in shock at what he had just heard. Reapers were nowhere near as powerful as angels. To think a reaper had killed one, and St. Peter at that! Crazy is what it was.
"Well what happened then?" Zur asked sitting on the edge of his seat.
"No one knows, the book ends there. But we can assume Lolan got his way. You breaking that rule most likely scared the higher ups. Making them send you down to earth so that when you die you won't be able to return to your duties."
Zur was distraught. He loved being a reaper, he just hated the stigma. Constantly being the face of fear and evil, when simply, he was a chauffeur.
Rayn placed his hand on Zur's knee.
"We can try to get you back where you belong. Just stay here and don't do anything that will get you hurt. Of you die before we can figure out how to possible get your status where it needs to be. You'll have a reaper walking with you..."
Zur nodded and put his hand on Rayns blushing and moving it away. Rayn however caught his hand and held it smiling.
"It's okay to hold my hand y'know?"
"I'm sorry... you're young."
Sun let out a laugh.
"No child he has no age. He chooses to be in this body because it's comforting to him."
Zur blushed harder but smiled.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Later that night Zur looked at himself in the mirror after a nice warm shower. He now understood why humans enjoyed them so much.
His hair was black and had a white streak on the left side of his head. His eyes were grey and looked hollow and his skin was pale. He was definitely not a looker. He walked into the room he would be staying and fell into bed. With all the information he had gathered in the past twenty four hours his mind was spinning new stories and theories.
He was silently thinking to himself when he heard his bedroom door creak open slowly and soft footsteps approached his bed. He looked hard through the darkness of the room to see Rayn.
"I'm afraid..." is all he said before Zur made room on the bed for him held in close and they both drifted off to sleep.