Chapter Nineteen

I carried a sleeping Birdie out of the cystic fibrosis center. Her appointment went well but we did receive some bad news. Birdie is underweight and if she doesn't gain anymore weight before our next appointment in a few months, they're going to give her a feeding tube. I knew that this was a possibility but I was sure that she was able to get enough nutrients orally.

When we all got into the car, Baylor and I looked at each other.

"What if she...?" I started to ask.

"We're going to be ok." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I nodded as he started the car. He drove out of the parking garage and started our way back home.

We stopped to get Panda Express for dinner and we quickly ate before I gave Birdie a bath and did her nighttime treatments. While she did her breathing treatment, I brushed her hair and braided it.
•••

I finished doing our online grocery shopping on the computer so I could pick it up before getting Birdie's medicine. I look over at Birdie as she played with her play doh.

"Ready to go?" I asked her.

"Yeah." She put her playdoh back in the container and ran to her room so she can get ready. I helped her put on a pink T-shirt with black and leopard print and matching shorts. I had on black flare leggings and a cropped black tank top.

I grabbed my wallet and phone before getting into the car with Birdie. First we went to the pharmacy to get Birdie's prescriptions. We then went to the grocery store and a worker placed the bags in my trunk. I waved to the worker before driving back home.

I watched the news while I cooked dinner for Birdie and I. Images of hospitals having overcapacity of patients was making me nervous. I chewed on my bottom lip and tried to calm down.