Chapter One

I hooked up Birdie's vest before turning it on. I handed her iPad to her as she played with it while she did her vibrating vest and nebulizer treatment. I looked up to see my boyfriend, Baylor, walking from our room with his work scrubs on. He went behind the couch and placed a kiss on the top of Birdie's head before walking over to me.

"Have a safe day at work." I whispered to him before he kissed me. "I love you, I'll see you tonight." "I love you too." I responded as he grabbed his Yeti cup and lunchbox before leaving.

Baylor and I both work in the medical field. I'm a Licensed practical nurse at a nursing home and Baylor works as an emergency room nurse. During these times, we both worry about if we'll end up getting sick with the virus. We wear so much PPE and do so much to help protect Birdie.

After finishing her breathing treatments, she ran over to her small table and I gave her a plate of toast with cream cheese and strawberry jelly, cheesy scrambled eggs, and a few strawberries. I made her a cup of Pediasure and started to clean up.

I was 20 years old when I gave birth to Birdie Layne. She was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis a few days after she came into the world. I have never heard of it before but after finding out that she had it, my life was turned upside down. I had to become a stay at home nurse to my young daughter. I learned words that I've never heard of. I received the most support and help from my family and Baylor.

After getting us both ready, I bent down to put on Birdie's shoes. "Do you want to go for a walk?" I asked her. "'Side?" She asked and pointed to our door. "Yeah, outside." I smiled, standing up. She stood up as well and toddled to the door. I chuckled, grabbed my diaper bag, as we went outside.