First Morning

"Mmm, I love it when you wake me up," Jay mumbled sleepily, his lips brushing against her ear.

A chill ran down her spine and Nya bit back a yelp as Jay's arms suddenly wrapped around her, pinning her wrists above her head. His body pressed flush to hers, hot skin sliding against her own. She let out an involuntary moan as he continued to kiss her neck.

She wanted to say something, anything, but a combination of Jay's warm breath and the electric heat of his hands holding her captive left her mute.

Nya was never one to shy away from physical contact, and certainly not from the affectionate embraces that she received from her friends.

But with Jay, it was different.  He knew that this was forever, and so he savored every second of what little time they had together.  It made Nya feel special. Like she was precious to him in a way that she hadn't felt with anyone else.

And now here she was, trapped underneath him like some sort of unwilling bed warmer.

"What are you doing?" She asked, trying desperately to sound stern.

His grip tightened and Nya felt pressure on her hip.  She could feel the electric pulse of his elemental power humming under his skin.

"I'm making sure we're connected."

Nya could feel her cheeks redden as sparks zig-zagged down her spine. Her brain scrambled for a distraction.

"You do realize I can move my legs, right? You don't have to hold onto me like that..."

He chuckled softly. "Not anymore."

Nya rolled her eyes and tried to push herself off him, but his arms held her fast.

"Hey! Let me go!" She teased.

"No." He replied simply, kissing her neck again.

After a few attempts, Nya finally wriggled out of his hold and sat up, looking down at him, her face flushed red from the sudden exertion. "Jay," she whined playfully, "Let me get up. How many times have we done this now?"

He smiled up at her. "Just once more."

Nya shook her head. "First of all, I'm not going to be able to walk right away after this, and secondly, you've already gone over your quota, so stop calling dibs on me and let me go."

"Quota? Wait, what? No. Stop." Jay protested, grabbing her hand and pulling her back towards him.

Nya was starting to get annoyed. This was new territory for her. For both of them. Every time she thought she'd figured out how to handle the situation, Jay threw a wrench in the works.

"Ok, fine, you win. I'll stay put...for now," Nya sighed, laying back down and kicking off her blanket.

Jay followed suit and curled up beside her.

"So...does this mean you're coming back to bed?"

Nya's smile faded quickly as she realized what he was really saying.

"We haven't talked about it yet."

Jay nodded, reaching out and gently stroking her hair.

"I know."

Nya took a deep breath and let it out slow, hoping to calm her nerves.

They were both quiet for a few moments, each lost in their thoughts.

"Are you ok with this?" He asked eventually.

Nya shrugged. "It's pretty much inevitable, isn't it?"

Jay smiled. "Yeah, I guess it is," he whispered as he leaned in and kissed her. "And, I'm glad. I was worried that you might not want to," he added, his voice sounding strained.

Nya reached out and clutched his shirt, squeezing tightly.

"Don't worry, I'm happy. It's hard not to be when I'm with you."

"Good." Jay said, giving her shoulder a squeeze.

Nya glanced up at him. "Why are you nervous?"

Jay shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because I'm so scared of screwing things up."

Nya frowned at him. "Scared of screwing things up? That's pretty dramatic, Jay, considering everything we've been through."

He gave her a reassuring smile. "It's true though. I love you, but you're also my teammate, and I worry that if I mess this up, I'll lose you."

Nya pulled him close and hugged him tight. "You won't lose me. I promise. You're stuck with me now."

"Thank FSM for that," he muttered, burying his face in her chest as he returned the embrace.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?"

Jay looked up at her from between her breasts, his eyes wide.

"It means that I'm glad you're here, Nya. And you're not going anywhere. Not until I decide to kick you out of my room anyway."

Nya laughed. "Wouldn't dream of it."

"Good. I wouldn't want to have to carry you outside."

Nya's mouth dropped open. "Now you're just being ridiculous, Jay."

Jay smirked and lifted himself up, kissing her on the cheek before rolling over.

"See ya in a bit, babe."

"Just like that, you are leaving?" She said with a pout.

"We wasted too much time talking. I don't want to be late for training. I've gotten too many punishment push-ups lately."

"What's wrong with you doing more push-ups?"

Jay rolled his head to the side and gave her an exasperated sigh. "It seems like you benefit the most from me doing extra." 

As he pulled his undershirt over his head he made a show of flexing his arms.

Nya reclined onto the headboard and crossed her arms. "I'm not complaining."

"Where was this spunk twenty minutes ago?"

Nya fidgeted uncomfortably an clutched the sides of her arms. "That was different."

Jay paused as he was working the with the inner ties of his gi and gave her a genuine smile.  "I guess sometimes I go too fast, like my lightning."

She bit the inside of her mouth, tasting the words on her tongue.

"You like pushing boundaries, don't you."

"It's my specialty." He arched his back as he started securing gear pouched and weapons to his body. "But now I know what you will tolerate in the morning."

Nya let out an annoyed huff but the smile on Jay's face never faded.

"Come on, you don't want to be late either. Unless you want to be stuck doing punishment push-ups with me."

"Maybe," Nya said with as straight of a face as possible.

"Whatever floats your boat, Waterlily," Jay called over his shoulder and before she could blink, he was gone.

Nya slunk down and pulled the sheets up to her chin, gripping tight. Things were changing for the better, but it was still a lot to get used to.

She finally pulled herself out of bed, ready to start the day and avoid any unpleasant punishment push-ups that Jay would undoubtedly get for running his mouth.