Just Breathe (Endless Pt 6)

A/N: This is the end (for now) of my unofficial post Crystalized mini-series. Read them in this order (also posted as Endless on AO3):

-Third Morning
-Fifth Morning
-Seventeenth Morning
-Twelfth Morning
-Good Night
-Just Breathe

More one-shots to come!

***

"Breathe," Jay whispers, running his fingers through her hair soothingly. "Just breathe."

Nya inhales deep and slow, trying desperately to control the trembling that threatens to consume her entire body. Waves crash violently against the rocks beneath them, sending salty spray flying into the sky. Water splashes against the jagged shoreline where they sit, washing over their feet.

They are both soaked, but neither cares. It's quite refreshing after the humid heat of the day.  She is sitting cross-legged in front of his lap, his limbs wrapped lazily around her and his hands resting gently on her stomach. His embrace is loose, but it feels protecting and strong, like nothing can hurt her.

"Can you feel me?" he asks.

Nya nods quickly. She can feel his touch, his warmth, his heartbeat. She can also sense the tiny electric currents coursing along his skin, the steady pulse of electricity emanating from his heart. She can hear the gentle thud of blood rushing through veins and arteries and capillaries.

"Good," he replies, smiling encouragingly.

"Focus on my elemental power. Focus on yours. Feel it welling up inside and harness it. You control it. It doesn't control you."

Nya takes a deep breath, continuing her meditation.

She focuses intently on what she feels—the energy within him, flowing between them like lightning jittering around the sky or water cascading off cliffs in rivers. The sensation is almost second nature to Nya now, as though she has experienced this through many lifetimes. This time however, she will not let fear take hold again. Instead, she wills herself to focus solely upon Jay's element and nothing else.

It comes easily at first. As her mind becomes more attuned with his, she begins to pick out finer details. It's as if he has two different power sources swirling about in his core—positive charge and negative charge. They dance together in harmony, longing for connection, creating something entirely new. Something unique and beautiful. A symphony of brilliant lightning.

The longer she concentrates, the stronger those feelings become. Her connection grows deeper until finally she reaches his soul. His very essence.

For an instant, she sees beyond the confines of his physical form. Beyond flesh and bone. She finds herself in another world, one filled only by light. No darkness here, no shadows lurking behind corners. Everything glows excessively under bright lightning bolts beaming down from all directions.

Panic drips down, pooling in the pit of her stomach. It runs cold through her veins and tightens around her throat. Her breaths shake.

It's all too intense. Endless and eternal. It calls her. Can she resist?

"Just breathe." Jay's breath is hot against her ear and it sends a shiver down her spine and into her toes.

"You are the elemental master of water. The ocean is your playground."

Her breathing steadies and her heart warms, thinking back to when Jay encouraged her to send a message to Benthomaar. He believed she could do it, so much conviction in his words. He never doubted her. She supposes she should follow his lead and not doubt herself.