Missing You

There are nights where the two of them just lie awake next to each other, fingers entangled, neither one of them able to fall asleep. Sometimes Nya will tell him stories about her childhood, or about her blacksmith training with her brother. Other times, Jay will talk about growing up in his junkyard, or about the first time he met Cole.

It's during one of these nights, as they're both lying in bed, that Nya realizes something.

She's not alone anymore. She has Jay by her side, and he loves her more than anything in the world. He's her partner, her best friend, her anchor in a storm. He's everything she never knew she needed, and she wouldn't trade him for the world.

So, as she lies there, listening to the sound of his breathing, she makes a silent promise to herself. No matter what happens, she'll always be there for him, just like he's always been there for her. They'll face the world together, no matter how dark and scary it seems. Because as long as they have each other, they can handle anything.
And as long as they have each other, they'll always find their way home.

***

There's a storm in the distance, a tempest swirling with power and fury. Lightning flashes, and the clouds seem to grow darker, like the sky itself is angry. The wind howls, whipping through the trees and making them bend and sway.

Nya stands on the shore, the waves crashing against her feet. She's dressed in a simple blue dress, her hair blowing wildly in the wind. The rain starts to fall down around her, soaking her clothes and skin, but she doesn't care.

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, letting the storm fill her. She feels its power, its rage, and she welcomes it. She lets it flow through her, filling her veins with electricity, making her blood hum with energy.

Jiro chortles happily next to her, bobbing his head and flexing his wings as the lightning continues to pummel the ocean. The giant blue lightning dragon is just as exited by the storm as Nya is. His tail swings from side to side, sending water splashing across the beach.

"You and Jay would get along quite well. When he and I first met, he used to ride a lightning dragon named Wisp, but I don't think Wisp liked him that much. Or if Wisp did, he had a strange way of showing it."

Jiro gives a happy roar, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

"I just wish Jay was here," she says, her smile faltering. "He'd love this."

As if on cue, the storm intensifies, the wind picking up and the rain falling even harder.

"It's not the same without him," she murmurs.

Jiro makes a soft, crooning noise and nudges her gently. She reaches up and strokes his nose, trying to calm him.

"It's okay," she says. "I'm fine."

But even as she says the words, she knows they're not true. Without Jay by her side, the storm is just a reminder of what she's lost, of what she may never get back.

She turns away, unable to bear the sight of the raging sea any longer. Jiro makes a noise of protest, but she ignores him. His head comes into her view and he nudges her again. Nya can feel the gentle thrum of lightning coursing through his veins, reminding her even more of Jay. She does everything in her power to keep from breaking down on the spot.

She has to be strong. She has a duty to fulfill, a legacy to uphold. And she can't do that if she lets herself be swallowed up by her grief.

She has to carry on. For Jay. For everyone.

Jiro croons again, this time more insistently. He lowers his head and pushes against her back, as if he's trying to encourage her. She takes a deep breath and turns back to face the storm. The wind howls and the waves crash against the shore, but she stands firm.