Picture Picture!

*In this one shot Molly and Arthur aren't the best people, and it's told from the perspective of Ginny*

Mom yells at me, "Places places! Get in your places!" 

"I'm throwing on my dress!" I yell back. 

"Put on your doll faces! Everyone thinks that we're perfect!" She yells when I emerge from my room. She pulls on a stray hair that's slipped out of my braided crown. Her hand whips out, and a loud and painful slap lands on my cheek. 

"I won't let them look through the curtain." I vow in a mumble, rubbing my red cheek. She throws makeup at me. 

"Picture picture!" She yells again. 

Dad looks serious, "Smile for the picture!" He demands. I force my face up into a perfect smile. 

"Pose with your brother!" Mom orders, pointing, so I know which one to pose with. I move a little too slow. 

"Be a good sister!" Dad roars in my face, his stench making me want to plug my nose. 

"Everyone thinks that we're perfect!" Mom reminds me. 

"I won't let them look through the curtains." I mumble in response, avoiding eye contact. 

When she turns around to fuss at my brother I whisper, "I see things that nobody else sees." 

Her hand whips at my cheek again. "Don't mumble!" She screams. 

I nod. 

Later in my room I cry to myself. "No one ever listens, the wallpaper glistens! One day they'll what goes down in the kitchen!" 

A banging on my door makes me stop. My mom bursts in and drags me out of my room. "Harry's coming over!" 

The cycle continues, "Places places! Get in your places! Throw on your dress, put on your doll faces! Everyone thinks that we're perfect." 

Darkly she chuckles, "I won't let some stupid girl like you ruin us." She slaps me one last time, at least for a few hours, and I wince. 

Makeup cakes my face as I cover up the handprints. 

"You're so fake!" She wrinkles up her nose at me, sneering, "You're a disappoint Ginevra! I wish you were never born!" 

Then she gives me a look that says I'll be punished later, and the doorbell rings. Harry's here. 

"Hi hon! Come in! I was just about to make some dinner! How have you been? We've been great, Ginny's been enjoying this summer. Had a good few days." She babbles. All fake. All lies. I hate my life, she never cooks for us, she doesn't care if we starve, and we haven't been great. 

But I go along with the lies. "I went to go see a Holyhead Harpies match!" I pretend to excitedly tell Harry all about it. I never went to a match, I would never be allowed to do anything I enjoy. Unless I'm needed so that our family can look "perfect" I'm locked in my room, or being a practical servant to my family. 

In my head I whisper, "I see things that nobody else sees." Over and over. It's my mantra. It's truth. 

"I see things that nobody else sees...D-O-L-L..."