𝟎𝟎𝟒. POTIONS

         TOPAZ COULDN'T have asked for a better distraction than Potions class. She could finally get her mind off all of the ruckus from yesterday and focus on doing something she truly loved, something she excelled at. She slipped from the Great Hall with a steaming cinnamon roll in her hand, narrowly avoiding a gaggle of Ravenclaw first-years on the way out.

        She had not seen Amber or Victoria all morning, as both girls had Divination earlier that morning and had left long before Topaz had even woken up.

      Braids swinging softly, Topaz snacked on the steaming dessert as she headed for the dungeons. "Oi, Griffin!" two voices called out in unison, dragging Topaz from her thoughts. She turned around, her lips curling into a smile when she saw Fred and George Weasley heading her way. They were donned in identical outfits, and if wasn't for the slightest of differences in their facial structures, Topaz wouldn't have been able to tell them apart.

      Luckily for Topaz, (less so for the twins), she was observant enough to be able to detect the minuscule differences that separated the twins, much to their chagrin for they loved to pull switcharoos every now and then.

      "What's up?" she asked as she took a large bite of the cinnamon roll. The twins came to a stop a few feet from her, both of them quirking their right brow.

      "We heard about yesterday," Fred started, his brows wiggling in sync with George's. Topaz's chewing slowed as she cocked her head, prompting the twins to explain. "Ron told us that you almost got mauled by a Hippogriff," George continued with an elbow jab to Fred's ribs.

      "If only Hagrid had been our teacher when we were Third Years," Fred sighed wistfully. "We might have actually had some fun," George added.

       Topaz's eyes slid from one twin to the next. It was dizzying the way they traded off speaking. It was almost as if they knew what the other was going to say. She couldn't help but wonder if maybe they were skilled in Legilimency. Or perhaps twintuition was a real thing.

      "Buckbeak didn't want to hurt me," she sighed with an eye roll. "Malfoy provoked him and he reacted. He didn't want to hurt anyone."

      At the mention of Draco's name, Fred and George stopped talking and looked down at Topaz, their smiles slowly widening into vicious grins. "Aye, we heard all about Draco Malfoy's near-fatal wound." They paused briefly to share a glance. "Just as we heard from Elara all about how the little twat practically saved your life."

      Topaz froze, her mouth open around the final piece of her roll. Fred and George cackled like a couple of hyenas while Topaz aggressively chewed and swallowed the last of the roll and crossed her arms over her chest. "Alright, alright," she snapped. "Enough of that. He didn't save me. He probably tried to use me as his human shield."