𝟎𝟎𝟑. MAGICAL MISHAP

       𝐓𝐎𝐏𝐀𝐙 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 quietly behind Amber and Victoria as they bickered the entire way down to Hagrid's hut. They were minutes deep into a quarrel about which class was better: Divination or Study of Ancient Runes, and neither girl was willing to relent. That was how it was with these two– there was no such thing as common ground. There was no agreeing to disagree. One of them always had to be right.

        Topaz, silent as a mouse, trailed after the bickering duo, a small smile tugging at her lips. To most, their constant arguing was annoying, but Topaz found it funny. It was almost as if they wanted to intentionally oppose the other's opinions.

       With a soft sigh, she diverted her attention from her friends and gazed across the grounds, her smile fading slightly. Hogwarts was a strikingly beautiful castle, surrounded by even more beautiful lands. A soft summer breeze drifted across the grounds, bringing with it the scent of early decay.

       The trees bordering the Dark Forest waved in the gentle breeze, their leaves darkening, indicating the approach of autumn. Topaz's favorite season. She smiled, her eyes darting from tree to tree as they descended the rocky, sloped terrain, her ears deaf to the sounds of Amber and Victoria's voices. She counted the number of orange and red leaves that she could see, her nostrils flaring as she took in the scents, her ears tuned in to the chirping of the birds and the singing of the insects.

       Her blissful silence was abruptly ended by the snapping of a few tanned fingers in her face, dragging Topaz rather roughly out of her thoughts. She met Victoria's gaze with wide eyes, her brow arching in surprise. "Hello?" she said mockingly, her head jutting forward, "Earth to Topaz?"

       Looking around, Topaz realized they had reached Hagrid's hut already. Whatever the girls decided about their argument was lost to Topaz, who smiled apologetically as she fell in line between the girls. They merged with the rest of the students and fell into an easy conversation about about their shared hatred of their potions class.

        Topaz loved potions. Well, more specifically, she loved making potions. It was an art form, in her opinion, one that was ruined by Professor Snape. It was hard to love her craft when she constantly had that hook-nosed, bitter old man hovering over her shoulder, critiquing her every action.

       "He is such a twat," Victoria sighed with a dramatic flick of her hair. Amber's jaw dropped, her eyes widening as she snickered at Victoria's bold statement. "I simply don't understand how he expects us to write a three-foot essay on Shrinking Solution! It is a quite simple potion."

       Amber hummed in agreement. "Well, if you discount the fact that, if incorrectly made, it could poison you, then I suppose you're right. But Snape doesn't care. He wants us all to fail." Amber gave a slight roll of her eyes, but Topaz's attention was stolen when someone roughly slammed their shoulder into hers, sending her stumbling forward as they sauntered past.