𝟎𝟎𝟓. QUIDDITCH

⊱❀⊰

⊱❀⊰

       TOPAZ WAS hunched over her Potions textbook when a shadow fell over her body, drawing her attention from the discussion about the various uses of leeches in potions to the figure that hovered before her.

      Professor McGonagall was barely containing a delighted grin as she peered down at Topaz. "Miss Griffin," she said, her tone rather chipper, "if you could come with me." 

      Topaz blinked and sat in silence for a moment before gathering her textbooks and roughly throwing them into her satchel. McGonagall said nothing more as she led Topaz out of the library, drawing the attention of almost every student to them as they walked. Topaz met Hermione's worried gaze and gave her a quick shrug as they passed the little nook the trio sat in.

       Topaz couldn't remember the last time McGonagall had ever personally escorted Topaz anywhere within the castle and as they walked, worry began to gnaw at her stomach. Is this about the rumors? she wondered as they departed the library. Topaz was too worried about being in trouble to notice that she was being led in the direction of the Quidditch fields.

       "Am I in trouble, Professor?" 

      McGonagall peered over her shoulder, surprise on her face. "In trouble? Should you be in trouble, Miss Griffin?" McGonagall raised a wiry eyebrow in question, her steps never faltering.

       Topaz blushed. "No, I don't think so..."

       The professor smiled. "Well, then it appears that you have nothing to worry about, dear." McGonagall faced forward again, leaving Topaz more confused than before. Finally, she began to notice where they were heading and her confusion worsened.

      "Professor, why are we going to the Quidditch field?"

      McGonagall waved her hand at Topaz to shush her. "All in due time, Miss Griffin."

      Whatever that means... Topaz hoisted her satchel higher on her shoulder. The only time she ever visited the Quidditch fields was to watch a game. She had never even been to the practice fields before.

       After a few more minutes of silent walking, they reached the field and, to Topaz's vexation, interrupted the Slytherin practice match. "Wait here, Miss Griffin."

      Topaz didn't have to be told twice. She planted herself in the shadows, her shoulder resting on the storage building as McGonagall approached Snape. She watched as the Slytherin team zipped in the air, some wearing their green robes, others wearing silver robes as if to distinguish teams.

      She spotted the platinum-haired boy long before he ever took notice of her. He was higher in the sky, separated from the rest of the team as he zipped back and forth faster than Topaz's eyes could keep up with. A flash of gold told her that he was chasing the Snitch.