𝟎𝟎𝟐. RUMORS, RUMORS

      THE CHILL of the early fall morning bit into Topaz's sweaty skin as she lunged to the right, her face screwed with determination as a decently sized rock hurtled through the air directly toward her face. The teen reared her makeshift bat back and swung, hitting the enchanted rock with a crack so loud she was certain the other side of the school could hear it. The rock careened toward the edge of the forest before it suddenly came to a stop and snapped back in Topaz's direction.

        With a grunt, Topaz squared her shoulders and swung, the crack! reverberating through every bone in her body as the rock soared back toward the brush. The enchantment Topaz placed on the stone was the same enchantment used on Bludgers in Quidditch, which meant that the rock was dead set on taking out Topaz.

        It was a lot easier to play a team sport as a single when magic was allowed. 

       Topaz's forehead was drenched with sweat as she continuously whacked the stone back and forth, her brows screwed with determination. She was certain that she had likely broken some rule when she enchanted the rock, but she didn't care too much about what possible consequences she might face.

        She had only been back at Hogwarts for a week and already, the stress was getting to her. She was so full of pent-up frustration that the only thing she wanted to do was break something. But rather than be destructive and get in trouble, Topaz found a way to play her sport by herself.

        That was one thing she was always going to miss about the summers away from Hogwarts: muggle sports. Softball in particular. She was a star player back in Wiltshire, and every time she had to say goodbye to her team, her heart broke a little more.

       There was nothing that quite matched the thrill of playing softball, though Topaz figured that playing Quidditch might be somewhat similar. Except for the fact that Quidditch was incredibly dangerous and it was absolutely insane that twelve-year-olds could play such a dangerous sport. Plus, there was the fact that Topaz would never be able to even get on the Slytherin team.  

       She was an absolutely dreadful broom-rider.

       Topaz's muscles screamed in agony as she reared back and slammed the rock in the other direction once again. She had been out since dawn and figured that she would have to call it quits sometime soon. Classes were going to start soon and her entire body was on fire.

       She, however, was oblivious to the way her makeshift bat was beginning to crack and splinter, so when it shattered into hundreds of pieces upon her last strike, she gasped in shock. The makeshift bludger was hurtling toward the brush, but it soon whipped in the other direction.

       With a yelp, Topaz scrambled for her wand when a sharp voice suddenly rang through the air. 

       "Miss Griffin!"