𝟎𝟎𝟏. WARM WELCOME

      𝐓𝐎𝐏𝐀𝐙 𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐅𝐈𝐍 drifted through the halls of Hogwarts with heavy feet, her eyes drooping as she quietly made her way down a winding staircase, the chatterings of excited students slowly fading away as she slipped into the dungeons of Hogwarts.

       With all of the excitement of returning to Hogwarts, Topaz had barely managed to sleep in the past week. Exhaustion plagued her body as she dredged herself into the Slytherin common room, mumbling the password and excusing herself as she bumped into a few Slytherins entering behind her. 

       Whatever irritated grumblings her housemates uttered failed to reach Topaz's ears as the girl plopped into an ornate armchair in the far corner of the Slytherin common room. It was eerily silent as she pulled a soft woolen blanket over her lap, an old pillow perched behind her back as she curled into the chair with a content sigh.

       Glancing around the common room, she wasn't surprised to find that it hadn't changed a bit since the previous term. The room was full of ornate furniture that could be considered antique, and since it extended beneath the lake, the windows gave everyone a clear view into the depths of the murky water. 

       Topaz loved to sit and watch the water, her eyes following the creatures within it, the greenish tint of the water reflecting onto her face. Most of the creatures within didn't get too close to the glass, but regardless, it was a calming pastime. 

        Tonight, though, Topaz opted to settle deeper into the chair rather than gaze through the thick glass into the murky lake. She knew Amber and Victoria were likely arguing in their dorm and wanted to get a few minutes of calm and quiet before she trudged up the stairs into that chaos.

       Things were going swimmingly until an arrogant, boisterous voice suddenly echoed through the incredibly acoustic room. Topaz didn't even have to open her eyes to know who had just entered the room.

       She let out a soft groan as Draco Malfoy's voice filled her ears. Cracking her eyes, she spotted him across the room in all of his arrogant glory, preaching to his idiot friends about something completely irrelevant to her.

       With his back to Topaz, the teen found herself genuinely surprised to see his bright blonde hair hanging down the back of his neck. She had never seen him without his hair slicked back. She had briefly caught a glimpse of him on their way into the castle, but she didn't stick around long enough to see how he had changed over the summer.

       Draco barked out a laugh as he spun around, his eyes closed as he tossed his head back in amusement. Topaz quietly scrutinized his changed appearance. His hands were tucked away into the pockets of his black dress pants as he walked through the common room, his hair dangling in his eyes as he cracked them open, his lips pulled back in a smirk. 

       Topaz's brows lifted involuntarily when Draco's pale eyes met hers from across the room. She shifted in the chair, though she refused to break eye contact. He certainly looked quite different from last year, but as he crossed the room, Topaz could tell that his ego had grown just as much as he had just from the way he carried himself as he walked.