Chapter 17: Iota of Anger

My plan was to get a gem for Vazouk next.

In my head, I thought to myself: I want to help Vazouk with his annoyances. Then, I felt myself being pulled from one place to another in a matter of split seconds. I saw a blur of blacks and grays flash by me.

And here I am now, in the dark again.

"Hello?" I call out.

Nothing. No light still, the darkness settles in deeper.

About 10 or maybe 15 minutes pass by, I estimate. I continue calling out 'Hello'. Nothing.

I hold on to what feels like a wall and find my way forward or backward in the dark. My hand comes to a halt when it feels something that might perhaps be a shelf...a book shelf, I think. Slowly, I trace the spines of books. I sit down beneath them. Familiarity breeds comfort. I sit there for a while, calling out sporadic 'Hellos' to the stagnant shadows. But I do not panic, I remain intrigued.

Finally after what feels like an hour, I see lights appear across me in the distance. There is a thump. Then there is the sound of boots crushing grit and maybe leaves, heading towards where I am.

More lighting flickers on, a small bulb brightens up in the center of this place.

I look around and conclude that I'm in a badly lit cave, albeit a well furnished one, almost cozy. Bookshelves line one side. There's a bed on the other end, it has a thick blanket and a few pillows scattered on top of it. There's also a table on which rest some bowls and spoons, as well as a knife stand. If only I'd found my way to the knives before, I could have had a weapon to defend myself from the creature that lives in this civilly decorated cave.

He finally appears before me and stares at me menacingly for a while.

His outward form screams 'viking'. And he lives in a cave. Where have I traveled to? I think to myself. This must be way way back in time. Vazouk's gem better be worth it, I don't want to die like this.

"Mademoiselle Jemma?" He eventually asks.

I am too stunned to speak for a moment. The viking man knows my name, too? Have I directly arrived at a Bijou Maven's cave this time?

"Yes," I squeak back at him.

"Don't be scared, His Royal Majesty told me you would be arriving soon. I just wasn't sure why he kept warning me about your arrival. He said that you would want to see him."

"Is he the Bijou Maven of this realm?"

"I'm not sure what you mean," he frowns and then continues, "But we can go see him after the sunset."

"Who are you?" I dare to ask.

The man stands taller and I notice a deep red scar on his left arm. He has sharp feathers and a short beard. His dark eyes seem harmless; his demeanour  is almost fatherly and his broad build adds to his protective manner. I realize how he wasn't even angry at me for intruding into his home unannounced. Well, I was sort of announced by his King or something, but what a gamble that sounds like.

"My name is Lykin. This is my humble abode, please make yourself at home. I think I might have an apple here somewhere."

At this, I realize how famished I am. Since tea with Mamma, I haven't eaten anything. And I'm not even sure that counted. I was in my three-old self's body then, so that must've metabolized over a decade ago, right? I'm not sure how science works with this time-travel business.

Lykin hands me an apple. It's red and looks delicious. I take a bite...delicious indeed, crispy too.

"Does everyone live in a cave in this realm?" I ask between mouthfuls.

"Well, I should hope not. Only thieves and crooks live in hiding. Everyone in the Kingdom would be alarmed to find out that there were strangers living in the forest caves."

My heart starts racing. Was I in a thief's home? But why was a thief-living-in-a-cave in conversation with the King? Was it even the King? When Lykin used the words His Royal Majesty, did he mean the leader of his thieving clan?

"Who warned you of my arrival, Lykin?"

There is no time to play games. If I have to die, I shall die enlightened, knowing all the answers.

"His Royal Majesty? The King of Lykineria himself, Madame."

"You are named after this Kingdom?" I ask, amused.

"Yes, I am. My parents are its proud inhabitants."

"Why do you live in a cave, then?"

"Madame, you ask too many questions. But perhaps if I was in your circumstance, I would too...I was banished from the Kingdom five years ago."

I stare at Lykin for a few moments, afraid of what to say or ask next.

"I'm sorry for intruding, both into your house and now, with all my questions. But I need to know I'm safe," I assure him and myself simultaneously, and then ask another question, "Why were you banished, Lykin?"

He laughs politely and then casually replies, "Lykineria is a peaceful place. We believe that anyone with an iota of anger must be trained to get rid of it. If they do not rid themselves of their anger, they will cause chaos. Lykineria does not like chaos, so I was banished."

"You're an angry person?" I echo back, before I can stop myself. He seemed so not angry to me.

He looks at me thoughtfully and then says, "Well, I used to be. I think the forest takes away my anger, little by little. Sometimes, it helps living away from people, even your parents...gives you an odd sense of independence, you begin to feel lighter."

These words persuade me to reflect for a while. Would I feel the same soon?

"I will move away from my Dad in a few months...for university," I softly voice my concerns.

Lykin squints at me and says, "You speak in a language I don't fully understand, Madame."

I chuckle at this. "In my realm, university is a place where you go to learn, to educate yourself."

Hearing this, excitement and understanding glints back from Lykin's eyes as he says, "Like how we teach our young'uns to fight in a battle? Good swordsmanship is crucial for battle."

Well, doesn't that sound awesome? I would love to catch a glimpse of some sword fighting in this realm.

But instead I say, "I agree. Although I hope your Kingdom is not going to war anytime soon, at least not while I'm here."

I smile at him and then suddenly realize something else.

"Lykin, they banish you for your anger, but they teach kids to fight in a battle. Isn't this land suppose to be peaceful, like you said?"

Lykin grows serious and says, "We are a peaceful people. But we are not naive, Jemma. We live in harmony but we also teach our people to defend themselves."

I don't argue with him any further and wipe my hands on my jeans, having finished the apple. But now, I feel thirsty.

"Could I please have some water?" I make another request.

"We have a spring right outside. Come, I'll show you."