thirty seven

Sierra

"Mom," I felt someone poke my arm. I forced myself to get up, then turned over to see Amber sitting up from sleeping.

"What's wrong, baby? Are you feeling worse?"

"Dad's gone," she informed me, making me look over to see Luke's side empty.

"He probably went to get a midnight snack,"

"I heard coughing downstairs," she told me. I sighed and got up, heading downstairs to see Luke raiding the medicine cabinet.

"Not feeling well?" I asked, making him jump.

"You scared me,"

"Sorry,"

"I have a fever, and I'm coughing," he mumbled. I went over and felt his forehead, sighing.

"Maybe you got pneumonia,"

"I didn't,"

"Alright,"

"I am vaccinated,"

"There's not vaccine for pneumonia, only ones that might help prevent it,"

"I don't get sick,"

"You're sick, you're arguing with me about stupid things," I said, making him groan and run his hands over his face.

"I don't feel well,"

"Go to bed, I'll bring you breakfast and take tomorrow off,"

"I can handle it," he said as he tried to open the medicine bottle, failing miserably. I took the bottle from him and opened it, handing it back to him.

"No, you aren't feeling well, and you get more emotional than Amber," I said. "Let me take care of you," This time, he didn't protest. After pouring him some medicine, the two of us went back up where Amber was asleep again. Tiredly, Luke laid back in bed while I went downstairs to the couch to give the two space.

Luke was never one to push through being sick, nor were most men. A simple cough made him whine and had me nursing him back to health. He did it for me, so I did it for him. However, he was a complete baby when he was sick and he knew it.

In the morning I woke up first and threw together a quick breakfast before going up to see Amber going through the TV, trying to find a channel. "Breakfast," I told her, making her glance over.

"Thanks," she mumbled, taking a plate with eggs and toast. I sat Luke's plate down on the bedside table, kissing his forehead to wake him up. "Dad snores,"

"You're snoring too, you're both sick," I told her.

"Not as loud as dad,"

"Stop," Luke mumbled, making Amber giggle.

"Eat some breakfast," I told him as he sat up, rubbing his eyes. "I'm having some of my appointments online today,"

"Can I take a bath?" Amber asked.

"Later you can," I nodded, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Ashton wants you to come in to get tested for pneumonia," I looked at Luke, who nodded.

"Alright,"

"We can go once I get off,"

"I'll just go,"

"No, I'll take you," I reassured him.

"What if you get sick too, mom?" Amber asked.

"Then I guess we'll all be quarantined together," I sighed, sending her a small smile.

A/N: i have a new book up called wanted! it's a mystal book if you'd like to check it out.

thanks for reading! please vote! :)