3. The Van

Savannah's POV

Matt takes a moment to think about my question to drift as he glances over to me. "Yeah, why not?" With one hand he swiftly turns the steering wheel allowing us to drive in the opposite direction we were originally in.

"Yes, thank you." I'm trying hard to hide it but I'm jumping on the inside. I can't wait!

Matt reaches the long stretch of road Theo was on earlier, they must all come to the same abandoned carpark for these things. The car speeds up, not as much as Theo was doing and definitely not as recklessly as how he was weaving in and out of other cars.

After a while, we're stuck behind an old orange rusty van on the fast lane, Matt flashes them with his lights yet they fail to move to the slow lane.

"The fuck are they doing?" He murmurs to himself.

Seen as though they won't move over, Matt proceeds to undertake. As he slowly turns the car so does the van, staying in front. 

He tries the fast lane now that it's free, the van turns also, blocking us from advancing.

"What the fuck?" He says with a mix of concern and slight anger.

The adrenaline I felt earlier has been replaced with an uneasy feeling in my stomach. The van seems super shady, I feel like they're going to crash into us and kill us at any moment.

I don't want to die with Matt.

Matt attempts the slow lane again whilst speeding quick this time, the van cuts us off narrowly missing us.

"Shit Matt, don't they care about their own car?" I ask with a heavy feeling in my stomach.

"I'm telling you now, it's one hundred percent stolen."

"How do you know?"

"Seen the way they're driving it? They don't give a fuck."

I don't think it's stolen myself, I just think these people don't care about their car or other people.

I begin to take out my phone and hit the record button. "I'm recording this. So if I die everyone will know why."

Matt looks at me briefly and laughs. "You're not going to die."

He makes another effort to overtake the van to which they block us in again, they move closer to us threatening to hit us.

Matt's expression changes quickly. "Motherfuckers. Sav call the non-emergency number and report them for suspicion of a drunk driver."

"Okay." I stop recording and begin to call the number on loud speaker.

He tries to switch lanes but the van does the same. The van brakes slightly in a threatening manner, Matt suddenly brakes in response. "Fuckers." He mumbles.

"Please Matt, just be careful."

Matt turns to me and his face relaxes as the previous frustrated expression he had changes to a calmer look. His dark blue eyes sink into mine as though he can read my thoughts. Despite the fact that his stare is probably only ten seconds long, it feels like it's ten minutes as time seems to suddenly slow down in the moment.

He breaks his stare as the call on my phone speaks out. "You are in queue position seven, for emergencies please call-"

"Fuck that, just end it." He interrupts.

"But the van?"

"I'll sort them."

I trust his word and end the call.