12

"You're such an idiot, Rowan," I laughed at my brother's shirt, which now held the entirety of his breakfast. He had been trying to make his meal and instead, he ended up spilling it all over his white button-up shirt.

"Oh shut it," is all he says which causes me laugh even more. His comment also has our dad joining in on the laughter just as much as I was. Rowan then retreated out of the kitchen to change his shirt.

I, thankfully, hadn't spilled anything on my uniform this morning. I had on the basic uniform skirt, which I had rolled up just a bit, and a button-up shirt.

I had put on platform converse along with a bunch of jewelry. There were a few basic gold necklaces that I had layered and different sizes of gold mini hoops on both of my ears.

"Sometimes I think I should be more worried about that kid than I am," my dad chuckles from the other side of the kitchen island.

He was getting ready to go to work, so he was dressed similarly to Rowan because of his suit. "Well, at least you can always count on me," I jokingly say. We both knew that I was just as much trouble as Rowan, maybe even more.

He just shakes his head slightly in response with a smile playing slightly on his face. "Reese, I have a question I've been meaning to ask you."

When parents start their topics off like that you know it's never good. It will either lead to a lecture or a string of invasive questions that you were hoping to never have to answer.

I turn away from him and pretended to do something, so he couldn't see my reaction to whatever he was about to say. I give a slight 'mhm' to signal for him to ask away.

"We have been here for a while and I just wanted to know how your friendships are going," he cryptically says. I keep my head facing the other direction of him and simply respond with 'good' because I knew there was something else he actually wanted to ask.

"Well, what I was actually wondering is," he starts. Oh god here we go, "Are there any, I don't know, special friendships? Deeper connections? Star-crossed lovers?"

I swear my eye twitched at his last question. I slowly turned my body back to face the man who had been asking these stupid questions.

And of course, he was smirking to himself over my reaction. "Eh...no?," I say more as a question than a statement, "I think it's time for me to go to school now. Love you!" I practically sprinted out of that room as fast as possible. I think I heard him chuckling at my reaction as I was leaving.

My dad had always known exactly what to say to get me riled up and it seemed like he wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

He also knew that I would have told him if I was interested in anyone. Honestly, he loved gossip and 'lovesick' talk more than any teenage girl that I have ever known. It would just be too hard to keep from him.

Even if I didn't tell him, Rowan would have told him. Rowan and I pretty much always know when each other is crushing on someone. It's probably more of a twin thing though.

Also, Rowan has had a history of being a snitch. To be fair though, I can't say I've never snitched on him either. But, I think we've both moved past those phases. I hope.

As I stepped outside of our house Rowan had already pulled out one of his cars and was waiting for me. I didn't have much of a choice other than to go with him to school, I guess.

The fact that we were driving together to school did make me skeptical. He tried avoiding driving me as much as possible.

Which meant he wanted something. Or he has to tell me something.