Ch 10 - Holding Heavy Things

"Hey, Alfred, what's up," Jason Todd's voice came in clearly through the cell phone speaker.

"Hello, Todd."

"D-D-Demon Spawn? Why are you using Alfred's phone?"

"Yes, it is I, the spawn of the demon," said Damian. He crossed his legs as he sat in the backseat of the limo. "I had no choice but to borrow Alfred's cell phone since my last 14 phone calls to you have been ignored. I would like a report of your escorting Miss Marinette Dupain-Cheng to her apartment."

"I texted you that she got home last night!"

"Yes, but it is suspicious that you missed breakfast and I haven't encountered you all morning. Are you hiding from me?"

"Uhm...no."

"Todd."

"..."

"I know where you keep your collection of hardcover 1st edition books. I will not hesitate to make a book bonfire in the manor's back courtyard."

"Okay, okay! Sunshine got back to her apartment, but there was a slight...scuffle...last night. Her shoulder was cut by a pocketknife."

"..."

"Uhh, Demon Spawn, you still there?"

"I ASKED YOU TO DO ONE THING, TODD, YOU HAD ONE JOB!" Damian yelled.

A pair of Gotham Academy students gave Damian a strange look as they passed by the limo's open window. They whispered to each other and quickly walked away.

"I am disappointed in you, Todd." Damian cleared his throat and rolled up the backseat window. "I thought you were somewhat reliable, but it appears that I was mistaken. You are now placed at the bottom of my 'trustworthy family members' list. Congratulations. You are now ranked lower than Drake. That is quite the accomplishment."

"Wait! Dem-I mean-Damian! I'm sorry! I'll make it up to you."

"Yes, you will. But first, Todd, guess what I am holding in my hand."

"Uh, I don't know?"

"I'll give you a hint. It has a soft, black-colored cover and a bendable binding." Damian noisily flipped through the paper pages, loud enough for his brother to hear on the speaker phone. "It tells the tragic tale of a deformed bell ringer and his unrequited love for a beautiful gypsy dancer. The story takes place in Paris. The same city Dupain-Cheng is from. What a coincidence."

"Is that my Penguin Classics edition of The Hunchback of Notre Dame?" Jason nervously asked.

RIPPP.

Damian tore out the first page. "Oops."

"Demon Spawn, don't you dare rip another page of my favorite Victor Hugo novel!" Jason hissed.

"Tt, you're right. Ripping out these pages is childish. I brought my katana with me; it would be foolish not to use it."

Thunk. The blade pierced the center of the book.

"DeMOn SPawN-"

The phone beeped as Damian hung up.

"Thank you, Alfred, for allowing me to use your phone," said Damian. He returned the katana back into its case.

"It was no trouble at all, Master Damian," Alfred said from the limo's driver seat. "Shall I proceed with the plan to leave the book in front of Master Jason's door when I return your blade to the manor?"

"Yes. And I trust that my new motorcycle has been placed in the location which I requested."

"Indeed. Along with two helmets and two protective leather jackets."