Chapter 5: Ekko's Sanctuary

It wasn't long before Vi and Caitlyn made it back to the treehouse. By the time the firelight's camp glowed distantly, Caitlyn was falling asleep on Vi's shoulders. "It's alright cupcake, just a little farther," Vi murmured. She was worried about Cait. "She's had way too much stress for one night," Vi thought

Ekko greeted them and showed Vi to a small, empty room. Vi helped Caitlyn to the bed where she collapsed into the soft mattress. Kissing her girlfriend's cheek and laying the Hex Tech gauntlets aside, Vi sat down on the empty side of the bed, resting Amethyst against her chest. It felt good to finally be able to rest, and the warm weight laying against her sternum calmed Vi and reminded her she was home. She took out a bottle, stolen from the shop, and gently coaxed the baby to nurse from it. As Vi sat in silence, helping the child eat, it occurred to her that she hadn't held a baby since she was a child, when Powder was born.

Powder... oh god Powder... how could I have let this happen to you...

Vi tried to push out the thoughts of her lost sister. 

She was right... I made Jinx... It's all my fault...

Amethyst finished her bottle and Vi cuddled her against her shoulder, snuggling the infant.

"I promise I won't let the same thing happen to you, little gem..."

With the baby finally settled and asleep in her arms, Vi joined her lover in a deep slumber, safe and hidden away from the danger arising above them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vi sprinted across the lanes of the undercity, her eyes wide in fear. She cried out for Caitlyn but no matter where she turned, her Cupcake wasn't in sight. Suddenly, an all too familiar laugh echoed behind her. As Vi turned a shadow disappeared down a distant alley accompanied by Caitlyn screaming for Vi and the cries of an infant.

At this point desperate, Vi ran towards the alleyway with every ounce of strength in her legs. "God damn it Powder if either of them have so much as a scratch-."

Vi made it into the alleyway, a horrific sight awaiting her. Caitlyn clutched Amethyst as she cowered in fear, Jinx standing over them and holding a handgun. Amy's eyes had gone a bright pinkish purple. "DID YOU USE SHIMMER ON MY BABY?," Caitlyn screamed at Jinx. Jinx cackled. "It matches her hair!"

Vi charged forward, but stopped as she heard the click of Jinx turning the safety off of her gun.

"So who'll it be sis, your police girlfriend or fake daughter? How about both!"

Vi screamed as Jinx took aim at Caitlyn's head and could only hear the boom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Violet jolted awake suddenly, awakening her daughter. As Vi tried to calm down Amythest, Caitlyn woke up for the cries. Settling down the baby, Vi noticed Caitlyn and pulled her close, on the verge of tears. "Vi?," Caitlyn said, confused. "Oh thank god it was a dream, cupcake... I had a dream I lost you both..." Caitlyn wrapped her arms around the shaking woman.

"Hey... Violet..."
Vi nervously looked up into Caitlyn's eyes. Nobody had used that name in a long time. Caitlyn smiled slightly, stroking her hair.

"You'll never lose me... I promise"