Chapter 6: Two Mothers

Jinx had been dodging enforcers all night. She did her best to follow Vi through the jungle of buildings, jumping from rooftop to rooftop. However, eventually the familiar pink hair had disappeared from the streets. Furious, Jinx stormed home to her old room, plotting revenge.

Caitlyn awoke to sun beaming through the small window beside her. It was a warm morning. She heard a shower behind the nearby door and figured Vi was showering. Cait's eyes panned the room before noticing Vi left the infant on the bed beside her. Caitlyn, afraid to touch the baby, remained still as the child slept peacefully. Outside the window there was a shadow as a young firelight fell off of his hoverboard. The distant thud of him hitting the ground, startling Amethyst awake and into a fit of crying. 

Caitlyn froze. She'd never taken care of a child, nevertheless a tiny baby. She hadn't even held a baby for that matter, seeing as she was a sheltered only child. Amethyst's cries began to tug at Caitlyn's heart, and before she knew what was doing, her fingers reached out and stroked the baby's violet hair as she gently hushed the tiny girl.

"It's alright... your mum will be back soon, I promise."

Caitlyn rolled over onto her stomach and positioned herself beside Amethyst, who's cries had now soothed to a low cooing. Vi emerged from the bathroom, her hair reminiscent of a poodle that had been standing in the rain. Vi paused in awe at the sight before her. Caitlyn was gently talking to Amethyst and stroking the baby's soft cheek, letting her wrap her tiny hand around Cait's fingers. "I think someone just became a mom", Vi said as she smiled with a cheeky grin. Caitlyn sat upright, moving back to her side of the bed. "I was just trying to quiet her since you left her!".

Vi smiled, sitting down next to Cait and taking Amethyst gently in her arms. "I didn't leave her, she had you", Vi said defensively. "I thought I said I wanted nothing to do with this baby", Caitlyn retorted. "Cupcake... I saw how you acted just there. I've seen the longing in your eyes when I've held her near you. What's going on?"

Caitlyn sighed, looking out the window. "I just... feel like if I try to be her mum, I'll end up doing a bad job... my mother may have been kind... But she never showed me affection as a child. I guess.. I'm scared I won't love this baby enough... and besides, I've never even held a baby before..."

Vi put her hand over Caitlyn's and began pulling it towards her. "Then you will... today." Caitlyn gasped, "But- but what if I do it wrong?!" "Cupcake you'll be fine, trust me!". And with that, Amethyst was gently laid into Caitlyn's shaking arms. Vi moved her hands to show her how to properly hold the infant, and within a couple of minutes Caitlyn had begun to cradle Amethyst for the first time. She smiled, falling deeply for the child.

"Vi... is it too late to-"

"Not at all. She can have 2 loving mothers instead of one."

Caitlyn gave Vi a look of love and connection. Finally, the family was united. Vi wrapped her arm over Caitlyn's shoulder and cuddled her girlfriend and daughter in her arms. Caitlyn burrowed into Vi's arms and passionately kissed her. As they pulled away, VI uttered the gentlest words Cait had ever heard out of her mouth.

"I love you my cupcake, and my little gem too..."