(FH1) The Bastard Child

The Inudraga Family.

For as long as Ulgrassia has existed, the families kin has always resided within the Republic. And though they weren't, and were never recognized as people of power, their standards and mannerisms were still akin to royalty, even while being situated in a republic.

The way they ate; the way they walked; even in the way they slept, they exhumed the aura of royalty, despite it being little more than make-belief.

That's not to say, however, that they were without reason for their behavior, as several generations of esteemed and noble individuals were produced from the bloodline.

It didn't matter if they wielded a sword as if it were an extension of their body, or if they stitched silk and thread with delicate hands that wove like spiders, or if they perfected the arts of magecraft; every individual would be held in high regard at some point, with signs of their success rising to the surface like a budding rose.

A standard had been set for the lineage from the very beginning. One that had remained unshaken and fulfilled for centuries.

But, then came change. A horrible change at that.

A woman born of the most recent generation fell pregnant. Typically this would be seen as a great success. However, due to the marital customs that were strictly enforced, it was seen as an unparalleled taboo, as she and the man to whom she had been betrothed had yet to be wed.

Which meant that they had yet to consummate and, by extension, bring about the next generation of the lineage.

Though outwardly the family continued their everyday lives, behind closed doors all hell would break loose.

Angered screams blared through the halls, relationships suffered, and the households of all parties involved fell into civil war.

Plans of treachery arose, as one would suspect, however they would quickly be snuffed out by one key factor that hung over their heads.

The public.

Above all else, each family held their public image; their reputation and credibility; as a priority.

Their people had heard of the marriage long ago, and the signs of pregnancy had begun to show not too long afterward, most notably in physical appearance and behavior.

Even if the people's speculation were to be written off as just that, the credibility of each family would fall too far to be recovered.

They could execute neither the woman, nor the child. Word would spread like wildfire.

They only had one option to preserve their image; they would move along with the marriage, and do as they were well versed in.

They play make-belief, and raise the Bastard Child as if it were of their own blood.

---------------------------------------------

Holy crap :o

Another upload? If my parents found out I was taking time away from studying to do this, they'd kill me ;-; (not really)