(4) The Prodigious Elf

"And that's it!"

Tear's cheery voice sang, concluding the report her and Footman had returned to the Puppet Nation Jistav to deliver. The status of Sarion, their relationship with the Ulgrasia Republic, and, most importantly, Radriel's progress - all of which were delivered directly to the Demon Lord ruling over the domain, Clayman.

"Honestly, I'm impressed that he was able to survive. From what you've told me he has no prior combat experience, so it's amazing that he was able to avoid even a single of your attacks. More over, I'm surprised that he was able to match, or perhaps even surpass Tear's speed, if only for a second."

"I know, right? It was all outta nowhere, too! All of a sudden he popped up behind me and was then, whoosh!!! He sent me flying with some Wind Magic." Tear emphasized the power she felt behind Radriel's Wind Gust with over-exaggerated motions of her arms.

 Though he could tell that it was over-exaggerated, Clayman could also tell that the power of the spell was still considerable.

"Hm... So, it's possible that he's well-versed in both Wind and Water Magic, perhaps even other aspects of Elemental Magic. With a high magic output to add onto that... You also said he was contracted with an elemental, right? Do you have any idea what stage of evolution it was?"

Tear put her finger to her chin, trying to recall as much as she could about the Elemental Spirit Radriel had contracted with. But, since Tear was taking too long, Footman chimed in.

"It definitely seemed above the level of the average Greater Elemental. Far greater in fact - no pun intended! Hoho~ But, if I had to guess, I'd dare and say our dear little Radriel has gone and allied himself with an Elemental Lord."

Clayman almost choked on the sip of tea he had just gotten into his mouth, though he was able to choke it down.

"An Elemental Lord?! I thought those kinds of elementals were only ever seen in stories and children's fairy tales..."

The ruler set down his tea cup, standing from his seat and walking towards the window, both looking out at the domain and thinking over all that he was told.

"To not only summon a being like that, but to also successfully form a contract with it... Quite astounding indeed. Truly talent fitting of my own flesh and blood. Although, he's not yet at the point I need him. Of course, leaving him to grow on his own is an option, but, that would take far too long. There's also no way to gauge the rate at which he'll grow, considering that he's the only one of his species..."

As the Demon Lord looked over what was currently his domain, his thoughts drifted to his son, and the plans he had for him. He had intended to introduce the boy into his army, hence the "test" that he performed through the two clowns Tear and Footman, but, as he was, he wouldn't provide much to his power.

'Although, perhaps pitting him up against the likes of Tear and Footman was a tad bit much... Perhaps sending in someone like Yamza, or maybe even Myurran...'

Although he quickly perished the thought. As his son, Radriel should be capable of rising close to a level that would allow him to fight alongside himself, complimenting his own power. He should be capable of holding his own against all adversity.

'He's on his way, but he's missing something... He has no thirst for power, nor the drive to utilize it. If only there was some way to push him to strive for that greatness...'

But, then, as if answering some sort of wish, a knock came at his office door. Three distinct, slow knocks at the wooden surface, a key identifier for one particular person. And, all who knew of the history between the two, aside from the person in question, could tell it was someone whom Clayman had dreaded ever coming into contact with again.