| A leap of... Insanity |

Scaramouche's POV:

He knew something would go wrong tonight, that’s just the curse he was born to suffer with. Whilst some may think the Harbinger was exaggerating, no situation has ever really proved him wrong and dispelled this curse. Because every time someone has gained some value in his life, they are ripped away from him. Sometimes of their own free will and other times because fate demanded it.

Scaramouche knew this and expected this. Yet… he couldn't seem to shake Y/N off. The Balladeer couldn't seem to sever the thoughts of her from his mind, He couldn't seem to let go of the words she throws around as if they were meaningless when in reality they scared him and possessed him in a way words shouldn’t.

She was drunk out of her mind and obviously rambling nonsense but it didn’t stop him from foolishly believing the things she said. Because every word she spoke was like the singing of an angel and the way her lips pressed against his neck before she lost consciousness felt as if it were a stamp, signing off her rambling as the truth.

Scaramouche knew he should have scolded her, yelled at her to ensure she stayed at least 10 feet away from him for the sake of her life. Possibly for the sake of his sanity too. Y/N was distracting and reckless, which should have been enough to make her insufferable but he struggled to even dislike her.

To conclude, he was having a major personal crisis because he couldn’t understand his thoughts for the life of me. Just how Y/N had described it earlier, up in the tree. For some reason, the Harbinger was finding it hard to understand himself.

For the longest time, he'd only ever chased after the ending where be would become the god he was destined to be. He strived to eliminate any wretched human emotions that continued to linger within him. However, every time Scaramouche found myself in Y/N’s presence, that objective seemed to be forgotten and all the highs and lows of feeling were welcomed. He found myself enjoying the different things she put him through and made him feel. Even if they mainly involved squabbling and bickering. he could never tell her it was the highlight of his day.

And all of a sudden, he questioned himself. Yes. Actually questioned himself. He wondered if what hr truly wanted was to draw a line between himself and humans. Scaramouche knew this train of thought came from the naive side of him that believed there was a chance. A chance that the past three betrayals were merely flukes and that this time would be the one.

He shook his head clear of ridiculous thoughts and decided that the distance he'd walked with Y/N on his back was far enough. By now, they were well away from the port with no one hot on their heels. At least that part had succeeded. Despite the mess she had made of her side of the plan, Y/N hadn’t exposed her identity or his. They were in the clear momentarily.

That notion alone is all that had him reluctantly choosing this particular spot to take a rest. Y/N was fast asleep on Scaramouche's back, arms curled tightly around his neck. She didn’t seem content to let go any time soon. He found myself smiling in the dark at the idea that she felt so comfortable near him, so trusting. He knew it was partly because she practically had no one else who could carry her this way but he chose to dispel that thought and focus on setting her down gently. With her back against the tree in a position that wouldn’t have her slumping sideways, he took a seat on the greenery beside her.

She slept soundly, almost too deeply. Her chest remained still, unmoving in a way it shouldn’t. Something Scaramouche had noticed during their little situation in the alleyway was that she had no heartbeat. It made sense seeing as she was not entirely human but it still made him question things. Y/N was allegedly a very old spirit which meant that she’d seen things and experienced things people couldn’t even begin to dream of. But it also meant that she must have suffered through many hardships and questioned herself a lot.