Rachel's Mom

Rachel and I were sitting on the couch next to each other with her parents right in front of us.

"I want to tell you everything, but are you sure Ethan should be here for-" Rachel cut her dad off.
"He stays." She grabbed my hand and held it with both of hers.
"Of course... In every way that matters, Rose is my wife and your mother. But the woman you saw at the overlook... her name is Sera. Your birth mother."

this is the part where rachel and ethan are watching rachel's past and stuff. the italics is rachel and ethan, the normal text is her dad

"I'm going to tell you everything Rachel. Everything I've shielded you from for so long."

"But the truth can be hard to look at. Is this really something you're ready for?"

"Ethan?" She looked at me.

"I'm right here."

"Good. I need you." She held my hand.

"When I was in high school, there was one person everyone adored. Her teachers, her friends- Sera was everyone's favorite. Every boy wanted to date her. I could barely believe it when she picked me."

"Sometimes I think that's what kept me blind for so long."

"She was so alive, so passionate about everything. Early on though, I realized I wasn't enough for her."

"While the rest of us were pursuing college, careers, families, Sera wasn't looking for any of that. She was looking for escape."

"When Sera became pregnant with you, I thought it would solve everything. And it did, for a little while."

a/n - imagine that rachel's older brother that i made up is still born in the story i just dont know how to include him here lol

"Becoming your father was the greatest moment of my life. There was so much love, but... I was still blind."

"However much she loved you then, it wasn't enough. For Sera, the need to escape was always there."

"For over a year, I tried to help her. I made myself believe that she was still a good person. That, no matter what happened, she would never do anything to hurt you."

"I was wrong."

"Eventually, I saw her for who she really was. A destructive person. Someone who could never be satisfied, by anyone or anything... Even the love of her own daughter."

"I was desperate. I didn't know what to do, so I made a choice. I was never going to let her harm you again."

"What you saw at the overlook, Rachel... it was true, we kissed. It was the saddest kiss of my life."

"It was a kiss goodbye."

"I told her that I was happy for her, that she felt like she'd gotten her life together, finally. But she didn't get to just decide one day to be a mother. Not after what she'd done. Not after all the people she hurt. All the lives she destroyed."

"I told her she'd been given the greatest gift in the world- the chance to be your mother. And she squandered it."

"It pained me to hurt her like that. But I'd do it again, and again, and again, to keep you safe."

End of the viewfinder imagery.

"So that was the first time you've seen her or spoken with her in fifteen years" Rachel spoke up.
"No. I send her money, every single month. It's our... arrangement." Rachel's mom walked away.
"But now... she wants to see me?"
"Yes. But Rachel, it cannot be."
"Why not? If that's what Rachel wants?" I crossed my arms.
"Drug addiction is a disease. It afflicts everyone, not just the addict. I will not allow you to be victimized by her disease again."
"Even if that's true, Rachel could still meet her." I said to him.
"And maybe... the-- the fact that she wants to see me means she's gotten better?" Rachel sounded like she had a little hope.
"Maybe so. But consider that for fifteen years, she's preferred that money over you."