prologue

Salem, 1692

Blair stood looking up at the falling, red and orange leaves. The cool autumn air nipped at her exposed neck – her hair had been recently cut so it hung halfway under her pale ears. A shiver ran down her spine, a long shiver that indicated to Blair that she was being watched. The teen paid no mind, fixated on the feeling of the chilled breeze running across her skin and the sounds of crunching leaves beneath her booted feet.

Her outfit, a pale blue corset dress that landed at her ankles with a white sleeved shirt underneath, flew in the light wind. Blair readjusted her headband. She glanced behind her and caught a glimpse of a person, a boy. She removed her gaze, placing it back onto the radiant trees. Leaves crackled and rustled on the ground as someone began to walk towards her. They stopped and in her peripheral vision Blair could tell it was the boy she saw moments ago.

"Thou hast been watching me." Blair commented, not looking at the boy beside her.

"I couldn't help it, thy beauty is unmatched." The teen boy told her. "I hath never witnessed someone as gorgeous as thee."

"Do mine ears deceive me?" She questioned, eyes now trained to the boy already staring intently at her. "Ist thou lying?"

"Mine eyes are not blind as well as mine mouth only speaks the truth." He told.

"How can thee say such things when thou dost not know me?" Blair looked into the eyes of the tall boy in front of her.

"I'm Thackery Binx, and I will get to know thee." Thackery said, determined.

"If thou wants to know me, thou will have to come back here tomorrow." She replied, starting to walk away.

"I will!" He called after her, a smile growing on his face.

The next day came, and just as he had promised Thackery was back. Him and Blair spent the day together. They began to get to know one another, talking about hobbies and what they want to do in life. Months later a nagging feeling was eating away at Blair. She felt atrocious about not telling the truth to Thackery, not telling him that her mother was Sarah Sanderson; not revealing to him she herself was a witch.

Finally, the guilty feeling running through her veins became too much to handle. It was gnawing at her brain, it was clawing at her heart, and most of all it was causing her to withdraw from the boy she was becoming attached to. She couldn't handle it anymore – Blair was planning on telling Thackery what she was, who she was.

"Thackery?" Blair called at the front of the boys house.

A sound from the interior told the teen that someone was inside. She continued to stand at the door, tottering on her heels while waiting to be allowed entry. The door swung open, but the person who opened it was not Thackery Binx – it was Emily, his younger sister. The young child beamed up at the blonde.

"Blair! Thou is here for Thackery, isn't thee?" Emily chirped.

"Art thou clever." She gingerly patted her head. "Indeed I am."

Emily giggled joyously, pointing to a small clearing behind a house next to hers. "He's with Elijah."

"I thank thee." Blair scuttled off to the boy she had been searching for.

In the open space stood Thackery and Elijah. The boys were sword fighting with sticks that Blair presumed they had picked up from the ground. She straightened up her dress and sauntered towards them, incoming wind rushing through her blonde strands.

"Thackery!" She had encapsulated the attention of the boy. "Can I speak to thee for a moment?"

He encouraged Blair over while simultaneously ushering Elijah away. Once alone, Thackery smiled at the girl. "What dost thou wish to speak about?"

"I have a confession to make. I have not been honest with thee." Blair adverted her gaze from Thackery's.

After a sustained conversation filled with explanations and wavered voices, she had finally removed the ever growing weight from her chest at last. A lingering silence followed. She kept her eyes locked to the ground, unmoving. Thackery traipsed over to her and wrapped the girl into a much needed, comforting hug. Blair returned the embrace with surprise.

"It's okay." Thackery breathed in her ear. "I won't be leaving thee anytime soon."

"Really?" She let go of the hug to look at his face, searching for any sign of faux sincerity.

"Thou can't be rid of me that easily." He joked, causing both of them to chuckle.