two

Salem, 1993

A Walkman gently played in the ears of Claire Anderson as she walked to class. Her blonde bob bounced with every step she took. The halls bustled with excited chatter, along with talk about a Halloween party. She paid no mind to the conversations surrounding her – too occupied with the music in her ears. The teen stopped her Walkman and removed her headphones when she stepped into her last class of the day.

"Claire! I saved you a seat." Allison pointed to the desk in front of her with a smile.

The blonde graciously returned it, taking her seat. "Thank you."

Claire placed her bag down and took out her essentials, but the girl knew there wouldn't be much work going on. Her teacher happened to be a Halloween fanatic, the entire town was filled with believers of witches and magic, which meant that she would be told the story of the Sanderson sisters and Thackery Binx.

"Are you excited for Halloween?" Joked Claire, knowing what Allison's answer would be.

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, yeah, I'm so pumped to be at the same stupid Halloween party with my parents' friends. It couldn't get any better than that."

"Glad I could bring up good memories." Claire gave a sarcastically sweet smile and turned around in her seat as soon as the teacher walked into the classroom.

~⁠♪ ⁠~⁠♪ ~⁠♪

"Poor Thackery Binx. Neither his father, his mother, nor anyone else ever knew what became of him those 300 years ago. And so, the Sanderson sisters were hanged by the Salem townsfolk, and Blair Sanderson was never found." Claire's teacher walked around the classroom, heels clicking. "Now, there are those who say that on Halloween night, a black cat still guards the old Sanderson house, warning off any who might make the witches come back to life."

She threw a streamer at a random student, causing the class to scream in collective startled fear. The teacher clapped happily, chuckles leaving her painted mouth. One boy in a desk next to Claire's rolled his eyes. "Gimme a break."

"Uh-huh. We seem to have a skeptic in our midst. Mr. Dennison, would you care to share your California, laid-back, tie-dyed point of view?" The entire class looked at the new boy, laughing.

Claire took a glance at him – he looked like a regular white boy from California. She shrugged and layed her head on her arms, waiting for the bell to ring so the day could be over. She listened as the Dennison kid complained about the fakeness of Halloween. It angered her slightly that he hadn't thought about the other side to the story.

"It just so happens that Halloween is based on the ancient feast called All Hallows' Eve." Allison stated.

"It's the one night of the year where the spirits of the dead can return to Earth." Claire finished, wanting to prove a point to him.

The class erupted in cheers. "Well said, Claire and Allison."

Both girls turned to each other and high-fived, smirking with satisfaction. The California kid stood up from his desk, paper in hand, and strolled over to Allison's desk confidently. "Well, in case Jimi Hendrix shows up tonight, here's my number."

Everyone exclaimed. Claire covered her face with her hands to stifle laughter. The school bell rang just in time to stop their conversation short, much to Allison's joy and the Dennison boys' dismay. Claire grabbed hold of Allison, and the girls left the classroom; many students greeted them while doing so.

"That was horrible." Claire laughed out from next to Allison.

"He really embarrassed himself back there." She agreed.

"What was the kids name?" The blonde questioned. "I didn't quite catch it."

Allison unfolded the paper she was handed. "Max Dennison."

"Yep. He sounds like he's from California." Allison lightly hit Claire's arm but didn't disagree with her.

As their conversation continued, the aforementioned boy rode next to Allison on her right side; cutting their chatter short.

"I'll catch you later, Allison." Claire said, walking ahead of them.

"I'll call you." Allison waved to her friend with a smile.