The Paper Essay

It was almost my graduation in college when my mother stormed to our nursing dean's office to personally ask why her child passed when most parents there ask the other way around as only half of our batch passed the pre-board exam and proceeded to graduate on time.

Before that, rumor spread like wildfire that I was just considered to graduate as "consuelo de bobo" because I was the recipient of the college leadership award since I was a student council president for one year however that rumor was extinguished into extinction by our dean as she showed my mother the results of my pre-board exam which I barely pass but I passed it anyway.

Things heat up as one of our classmate who did not pass the pre-board was interviewed about the controversy by local TV news and to conceal her identity, her face was covered with white bond paper. Blur effect was a luxury back then by the way.

Controversy continued up to our graduation day after our college received bomb and death threats. There was the bomb squad and military visibility however most of my classmates are more curious if national TV shows such as Imbestigador are coming to cover the event.

After the graduation, my mother gave me a framed paper essay I wrote when I was just in Grade 4. It was about my ambition. I wrote there that I want to become a doctor or a nurse so that I can help the sick especially those who cannot afford it.

My mother's hoarding skills paid off as I really appreciated the gift though we lost it in the super typhoon years after however that is the best gift I can receive, ofcourse next to getting college education and a nursing degree which my parents' paid and supported.

The paper essay reminded me of the nobility and passion of the health care profession.