The Papal Visit

My mother told me a story about the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1981. She and her sister, Aunt Esing went to Quirino Grandstand just to see the pope. They hurdled barricades and barbed wires and in doing so, Aunt Esing ripped her pants along the inseam however she just tied the jacket she brought around her waist and covered the rip and they continued.

The next visit of Pope John Paul II was in 1995 when the Philippines was the host for the 10th World Youth Day. We already relocated in Leyte from Metro Manila by then and what I can recall is that Jamie Rivera songs were really popular on a loop back then. My mother bought t-shirts for us with the face of the pope and I think we watched most of the historical events on television. The pope also rode this pope-mobile which has thick bullet-proof glass which I think upto now was an overkill just to prevent him from being killed while under the protection of the Protestant Philippine President during that time.

This 2015, Pope Francis I is visiting the Philippines, specifically to visit Leyte that was devastated by typhoon Haiyan also known as Yolanda. This time, the pro-poor pope opted out to the have the same pope-mobile despite deliberate death threats.

The event was coined "Mercy and Compassion" perhaps suppose to oppose "Malversation and Corruption", just my own opinion.

I am now based in Cebu and the papal visit is vividly the same time as Sinulog which makes it impossible for me to go to Leyte for a meet and greet though I still find it weird why they have "pope pop-up" in corridors of catholic churches.