13 ~ Afternoon Thunderstorm

~ ❀Chara❀ ~

                 "...That is quite the accusation to make of someone you just met." Upon recovering from my previous shock, I stood as straight as I could, leaning against the oak cane on the asphalt of the street outside the diner.

Clover seemed to be studying my expression, his own being unreadable. "It is a little sudden to be asking you about this, I agree. However, I have a feeling we won't be able to talk like this for a while. You and Frisk seemed particularly... close from what she's said."

A feeling of pride welled up inside me, but I ignored it. "And why is Frisk not included in this discussion?"

He straightened somewhat, seemingly taken aback. "I figured you wouldn't want her knowing about this... Right?"

He's right, I wouldn't, but that's besides the point.

"It is a just that it's little strange you would isolate me from the others and then accuse me of arson. What exactly brought you to the conclusion I was this 'Florida man'? I have never even been there."

Clover coughed. "Er, the whole Florida man thing was just a way to bring it up... It actually took place on the other side of the mountain. I admit that wasn't really the smoothest way of going about it..."

"It was not. But still, why do you think I would commit arson? How much about me do you even know?"

Clover dug a hand into one of his pockets and pulled out two folded pieces of paper. He handed them to me. "Tell me if any of this sounds familiar."

I stared at him for a second before unfolding the first paper. It was a photocopy of an old newspaper clipping from 1893. The headline at the top read, '𝔼𝔹𝕆𝕋𝕋 𝕃𝔸𝕂𝔼 𝕀ℕ𝔽𝕆ℝ𝕄𝔸ℕ𝕋' with five sub-headings beneath it. One in particular was circled in a blue, scrabbly pen. This one read, '𝚃𝙾𝚆𝙽 𝙾𝙵 𝚂𝙰𝙻𝚃𝚀𝚄𝙸𝙲𝙺 𝙱𝚄𝚁𝙽𝙴𝙳 𝚃𝙾 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙶𝚁𝙾𝚄𝙽𝙳! 𝙾𝙽𝙻𝚈 𝙾𝙽𝙴 𝚂𝚄𝚁𝚅𝙸𝚅𝙾𝚁'.

I looked back up at him. "1893? That was quite a while ago. Why would I have anything to do with that?"

Clover pulled another sheet of paper out of his pocket. "Because according to the monsters' archive, you fell that year. Alphys helped me figure out the math in human years because to the monsters, you technically fell in 2015."

"Human and monster years are quite confusing, aren't they?" I took this paper from him, glossing over the details I already knew. It described the date I fell and when the monsters took me in. I looked back up at him. "This does not prove it was I that set aflame that village. I have never even heard of Saltquick. Coincidences are a thing, Clover. Besides, it was most likely just a knocked over candle or something."

The human boy pointed to the paper. "Read the article. It clearly says it wasn't believe to be an accident." I sighed and held the paper up closer to my face.

It read, '𝚃𝙾𝚆𝙽 𝙾𝙵 𝚂𝙰𝙻𝚃𝚀𝚄𝙸𝙲𝙺 𝙱𝚄𝚁𝙽𝙴𝙳 𝚃𝙾 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙶𝚁𝙾𝚄𝙽𝙳! 𝙾𝙽𝙻𝚈 𝙾𝙽𝙴 𝚂𝚄𝚁𝚅𝙸𝚅𝙾𝚁

𝔸t six a.m. Thursday, reports of smoke from the South side of the mountain came from nearby towns. The group of young men sent to investigate came back claiming the infamous mining town of Saltquick had been burned down to bare ruins. All that remains of the people is a young boy brought back with them. Despite the devastation the fire did to it's inhabitants with many burned to a crisp and others still having yet to have been found, the boy did not have any present injuries. He fought against anyone who tried to examine him closer.