Chapter 4~ You're the Slinthead, Slinthead

The sun had just disappeared behind the stone walls of the Maze. You'd sat and watched it sink lower and lower until it was gone, and the Glade was plunged into darkness.

A few of the boys were starting a small fire so Frypan -- the incredibly hairy cook -- could roast food over it. You guessed it was their way of celebrating a new arrival -- as well as the first girl. Well, not counting the first girl, whom, from what you had heard, had come in a coma, and was still in the same condition. You had yet to visit her, eager to meet another girl.

You chuckled lightly to yourself. You'd only been here one day, and you already wanted out... but, who wouldn't?

Footsteps sounded to your right, and you saw Newt lower himself down next to you a second later, leaning back against the rough bark of the tree you had been sitting under.

"What'd you think of your first day, Greenie?" You shot him a playful glare, relieved to see the amusement in his eyes -- nothing compared to earlier that day.

"Got into a fight, been to the Med-Jacks twice now... I'd say, pretty crappy." He laughed, and your smile stretched wider.

Once he recovered, you sat in silence for a while, both watching the growing fire dance in the darkness.

"Say, (Y/N)," Newt broke the quiet. You heard him shift uncomfortably. "How... how did you know my name? When you woke up and all that -- you said my name and Minho's too." He didn't mention the "shank" thing, but he'd gotten his message across.

You let out a long sigh before meeting his curious gaze. Light from the fire danced in his dark eyes and his head was tilted slightly to the side as he waited for your response.

"I... don't know. I just... do." You mentally slapped yourself, only just realizing how stupid it sounded after the words had come out of your mouth. "I can't remember anything from before I woke up in the Box... but everything here -- it seems so familiar. Like I've lived here all my life or something."

You expected Newt to be looking at you, confused, but he just smiled encouragingly and nodded.

"I see."

More silence, save for the cheers coming from farther down the slope, where the Gladers prancing around, joking and laughing like they were at some high school party, and not a big stone Maze surrounded by flesh-eating slug monsters.

"Why am I the only girl here?" you asked suddenly. Newt continued to stare at the boys as they danced around the fire, his expression unreadable.

"You're not. There's that other girl we got a couple days ago. She's still knocked out though."

You decided not to press anymore, though it was hard to ignore the hundreds of questions swimming around in your head. But you somehow knew Newt wasn't up for answering anything more.

A large gust of wind sent your hair flying in all directions, and you sputtered, pulling it out of your mouth and eyes. Newt was smirking at you, and you just shot him another glare.

Goosebumps covered your bare arms, your mind wandered back to your jacket, which was draped over a chair in the Med-jack' shack, and you inwardly groaned. The day had been so hot, you'd forgotten it, too busy sweating your butt off to even think about putting it back on.

Newt must have noticed you shivering because he scooted closer to you. He seemed to hesitate for a moment, before reaching around and wrapping one arm around your shoulders. It sent pleasant shivers down your spine.

He rubbed your shoulder a few times, trying to warm you up. You were pretty sure your face was on fire, but it was a kind gesture, so you said nothing, choosing instead let the silence swallow you up once again.