Chapter 16~ Sliced And Dead

You awoke to erratic beeping that filled the room, and rubbed your eyes groggily but didn't open them. 

"Come on guys!" someone shouted, which was followed by a loud thump as they jumped out of the bunk. "We have an hour to get ready, so if you want a shower you'd better take one now."

Groaning, you pushed yourself into a sitting position and let your feet fall onto the cold floor. Slowly, you dragged yourself to the showers and stripped off your old clothing, setting the pile of clean clothes that WICKED had left in one of the dresser drawers in the bedrooms down at your feet. You stood under the flow of hot water and rubbed your eyes again, trying to shake the feeling that this would be your last shower for a while.

At ten minutes to six, you stood with the rest of the girls, clutching two bedsheets filled with food. Someone had come up with the idea to store water in the empty plastic bags the food had been packaged in, and although it wasn't the most convenient way, it was the best anyone could think of.

"You guys ready?" Harriet called from the front. She had her own bedsheet, as well as a water bag and the paper instructions Janson had left. "You know exactly what to do once the Flat Trans opens?"

The plan had been to take what had looked like on the maps, to be underground tunnels up to the warehouse to meet Thomas's group and... well, let Teresa handle the rest.

You risked a glance at your watch. Seven minutes left.

Teresa was standing in the corner, arms crossed, staring at the floor. You considered going over and trying to talk to her, but you knew it probably wouldn't end well. You set your pack on the ground and shifted your weight from one foot to the other, then looked down at your watch again.

Four minutes.

You still hadn't come up with any idea out of the whole killing Thomas thing. You'd originally planned to think it through the night before, but you'd had no trouble at all falling asleep as soon as your head had hit the pillow.

Two girls to your left were whispering quietly together. You caught little bits of their conversation, but nothing much of interest.

Two minutes.

You picked up your pack again and slung it over your shoulder, grabbing the second one and putting it in one hand, so the other was free.

"One minute!" Harriet shouted. The tension in the air was so thick it was suffocating. "Anyone want to turn back? Last chance." No one spoke, and you just stared at the floor. Janson had made it specifically clear that anyone left behind would be, as he put it "unceremoniously executed." It was safe to say not one person wanted to go with that choice.

"Thirty seconds!" 

You clenched your hand so tightly around your pack, your knuckles turned white. You could do this.

The wall in front of you rippled, and you stepped back, staring up in awe. You'd really had no idea what to expect the Flat Trans to look like, and now that it was right in front of you, you couldn't stop staring. A long grey rectangle the size of a small doorway, foggy and shimmering, and completely dark. Harriet, who was still in front, turned back around to face the group, shifting her water bag higher up on her waist.

"Okay everyone, we only have five minutes to get through! We need to do this as quickly and as organized as possible. I'll go first, and Sonya-" she paused to nod at the blonde girl, who was standing towards the back "you'll go last."

She stepped up to the murky spot of wall, hesitating for a split second, inches away from its surface. Then, she stepped through and it swirled with her movements, sucking her up entirely until she was gone, nothing to show she'd stood there except the occasional twitch or flicker in the pooling blackness.