Chapter 10~ A Way Out

You started towards Alby, speeding up until you were sprinting as fast as you could. He didn't seem to notice you at first, but when he did, he shot you a confused look.

        "Alby!" you called, waving, though his attention was already on you. The curiosity was almost overwhelming — what had they found? Had they even found anything? Why did Chuck look so excited?

        Alby didn't say anything as you arrived in front of him, just leaned back on one foot, his eyebrows raised questioningly. "Alby," you panted, bending over to lean on your knees. "Did... did they find... anything?" You were looking at the ground, and couldn't see his expression, but you heard him give a small grunt in response.

        "They did actually. Turns out, your little blue light incident was more important than we thought." You managed a small smile, and stood up straighter, lifting your head to meet his gaze.

        "And...?" You urged him to continue, beyond curious about what they'd found out there.

        "We... think it may be a way out," was all he said. You froze.

        A way out? Was he serious?

        "Oh, and I guess the girl's finally woken up, she's-" but he didn't have time to finish before a loud yelp sounded through the Glade. Your head snapped up, and you searched for the source of the noise, you eyes landing on the dark figure that was making its way towards the forest. It sped up as a few guys dashed after it, dropping what they were doing to give chase. One of them screamed something along the lines of "Wait! She's getting away!" You caught sight of Newt in the crowd of boys heading into the first layer of trees and felt a pang of longing. Since the Maze incident, he had hardly spoken to you, and you only now realized just how much you missed your friend.

        "Is that..." you trailed off, feeling stupid for even asking. It was obviously the first girl to arrive in the Glade, who had disappeared into the trees. It looked like she was following the way Thomas had gone.

        Alby stiffened beside you, and you turned to glance at him; what you saw terrified you. It was like a fire burned behind his eyes. He was glaring after the girl, gripping his the wrist that his watch sat on tightly, and visibly shaking with anger. Then, without a word, he dashed after Newt, vanishing behind the growing shadows the tall pines cast on the Glade.

        You wanted to follow but decided to back off, and let them deal with the girl; she was probably scared enough as it is, waking up with no memory, surrounded by a bunch of teenage boys. You chuckled, surprising yourself. You'd sure gotten used to everything so quickly — it seemed almost natural now.

        A loud commotion snapped you out of your thoughts. Boys, screaming, barking orders to one another. A few groups had formed and were now splitting off in all directions, each heading towards one of the four large doors that led to the Maze.

        Speaking of doors.... what time was it? The sky's dull color remained the same... but it felt late, and you fought back the sense of dread that was tugging at your chest. It inexplicably felt darker; eerier.

        The next half hour was a rush of panic and confusion. You'd briefly caught sight of the girl who'd run off earlier, being roughly shoved towards the Slammer by two heavily muscled boys. She didn't seem very worried; her face looked as if it was made of cold stone, hardened and emotionless.