Chapter 13~ Group B

You let them take you back to your room -- because, well, you didn't have much of a choice. You were cornered, defenseless, and in a whole lot of trouble. You reckoned you just got lucky that woman -- who you later learned was Ava Paige herself -- showed up right in the nick of time.

"We're just going to take a few more tests," she told you, standing the door to your room. You sat down on one of the many beds and nodded, looking down at your clasped hands.

"How long is it going to take?" you asked quietly. Aiva Paige glanced back at you and smiled.

"The rest of the night. You might as well get some sleep."

You lay on your back as the door closed, and shut your eyes tightly. The room was already dark, so closing your eyes didn't make much of a difference. For a while, you just started into the fuzzy, inky blackness, until sleep finally took you.

You dreamt about Newt. About Thomas and Minho and the other Gladers. About the Maze, and the boys running through it, under the hard, grey sky. They turned corner after corner, Thomas, and Minho in the lead, Newt moving as fast as he could go with his limp.

There were Grievers, and then, one by one, the boys ran and jumped off the cliff, disappearing into nothingness.

You floated above, unable to stop them. Unable to call out to Newt as he lept off the edge and vanished.

You awoke to clamoring. Light pooled behind your eyelids and noise bustled around you as if someone had suddenly turned them on with the flip of a switch.

Your eyes snapped open, and you lurched into a sitting position. You were sitting in your bed, all alone in your room, but voices continued to sound outside your door.

"Calm down!" someone shouted, muffled by the door. Without thinking, you swung your feet onto the ground, pushed yourself up, and burst into the next room.

The smell hit you before anything else. A thick, putrid wave of raw sewage, so heavy you could practically taste it. Your eyes watered, and your hand instantly went to your nose, though it did little to block the stench.

"Who are you?" The question was hissed at you, by a girl, standing just a few feet away from you. You really didn't know what to look at first. The clustered group of random girls, the weird, doorless walls, or the bloated dead bodies that hung from the ceiling in the center of the room. Probably what was causing the smell.

"W-where am I?" you stuttered, eyeing the girl suspiciously. She had dark skin and hair cut close to her scalp. She wore a loose fitting t-shirt, light pants, and a stern scowl.

"How'd you get here?" she shot back. "Where's Aris?"

"Aris?" What was she talking about?

"Yeah, scrawny guy, big nose, tan skin? Seen him anywhere?" The sarcasm was apparent in her voice, and you raised an eyebrow wearily.

"What makes you think I know where he is?"

"Because you just came out of his room!"

"Harriet!" another girl called, running up to the pair of you. "We've agreed we need to talk..." She trailed off as she caught sight of you. "Who's this?"

Harriet smirked a little, crossing her arms and shifting her weight to the other foot.

"That's what I've been trying to find out."

The smell had gotten worse, and you had to force down a gag, pulling your grey shirt high over your nose.... and that was when you noticed. Your clothes were different.