Chapter 25~ I Missed You

The sun had risen high in the sky by the time you'd reached the base of the mountain. Minho had called for a break and you gladly collapsed onto a rock, wiping sweat off your neck and head. Newt sat a few feet away, and you made sure your back was to him before settling down.

"There's a tunnel through the mountain!" Minho's yell echoed like he was calling down a long hallway. "We'll take it through the rest of the way." He jumped down from his perch, landing with a crunch on the ground and sending up a spray of rocks and dirt. "Try to get some sleep! We set out in a few hours!"

You balled up your sweatshirt and stuck it between two smaller rocks, then settled down on your side, still painfully aware of Newt not far away.

You were both physically and emotionally exhausted, and sleep came almost instantly, settling over you like a dark cloud.

You awoke to snickering, and hot breathing on your forehead. Cracking open your eyes, the first thing you noticed was what looked like a dirty shirt in your face, moving up and down slowly. Almost like it was... breathing.

All at once, you understood, and let out a surprised yelp that woke the person sleeping next to you.

Newt, of all people, was curled up beside you, his chin almost resting on the top of your head, your face by his chest. As soon as his eyes snapped open and he'd taken a few seconds to access the situation, you jumped away from each other. A few boys were standing around you, laughing and pointing. You must have turned ten different shades of red, and slapped the ankle of the boy nearest to you.

Once everyone had settled down and eaten breakfast, you started up again, hiking over large boulders and steep slopes to reach the cave entrance. Once every boy (and two girls) was accounted for, the group pushed forward into the tunnel.

A few Gladers had flashlights and pulled them out to shed the tiniest bit of light. For the most part, the weak beams didn't even make a dent in the shadows, but it helped to soften the uneasy feeling building up in the pit of your stomach.

Footsteps.

Muttering.

The occasional string of curses when someone jabbed their shoulder into a sharp rock.

For the most part, the walk was uneventful. You stubbed your toe at some point, and walked it off until the pain ebbed away.

You were actually starting to feel a little more comfortable with everything -- everyone -- when a sudden cry of surprise broke the comfortable silence.

"Cranks!" Minho shouted, and you immediately made a break for the front of the crowd, pushing past a few boys as you went.

"Where?" you panted once you reached him.

A loud, broken scream sounded from a little ways ahead.

"Does that answer your question?" Minho asked sharply, pulling you back a few steps. "We're probably gonna have to fight through them!" He turned back to face the crowd of boys. "Alright, you shanks! Grab a rock and charge! We still have to get through these suckers, and we're pretty much out of options!"

You scrambled to find a sharp rock, feeling along the walls on either side of you until you broke off a loose chunk of stone. You felt the rusted sword press into your hip where you'd tied it, but even the thought of stabbing someone with it, no matter how past the Gone they were, made you feel sick. If you were lucky, you wouldn't have to use it at all.

The first Crank came staggering around a corner, and Minho stepped forward, you close behind him. Unlike the Cranks you had met at the party underground, these didn't even produce words, just a long wailing sound that rattled your eardrums and made you want to rip out your hair. Minho tacked it in one swift movement and bashed it on the head with his rock. It screamed and fell to the ground. When it tried to push itself back onto its hands and knees, you brought your piece of stone down on top of its head and recoiled as a sickening crack signified you'd broken through bone. It fell, unmoving, onto its stomach and you stumbled back.