Spending time - Chapter 7

The light from the son beamed through the window as birds chirped outside. Venti stirred awake as he slowly sat up, stretching his arms over his head. He glanced down to see that Xiao was still asleep, so Venti got up and began getting ready for the day.

He got dressed before quietly leaving the room, closing the door behind him as he began his walk around the inn. As the bard walked down stairs Verr Goldet spotted him and decided to talk.

"Hey, Venti, right? Could you spare a moment?" She called, shooing away the cat on the counter. The ladies voice caught his attention and he walked over.

"Of course, what's the problem?"

"Oh there's no problem, I just wanted to ask about your stay." She said with a smile, resting her hands on her desk.

"My stay has been great! The views are wonderful and the atmosphere is very expiring." Venti hummed. "Not to mention that adeptus is a very nice room mate."

"Oh so Xiao has opened up to you?" Verr Goldet asked with a pleasantly surprised look. She laughed softly. "How nice, where is he at the moment?"

"Sleeping." Venti answered with a casual shrug.
Verr Goldet stared at the bard with a confused expression.

how could this random guy get that stubborn adeptus to sleep? She wondered.

"He might be a little salty once he wakes up, you should probably get Xiao some almond tofu."

"Almond Tofu.. that's his favorite food, right?"

"Correct. There's a chef in the kitchen who can help you make some."

"Ooo alright, thank you, Verr Goldet!" Venti said as he waved to her and headed over to the kitchen.

So that's what he did, he went down to the kitchen, talked to the chef and soon enough they had finished making the dish. Venti thanked the chef before heading back up to him and Xiao's room.

-

Venti opened the door, being careful not to drop the almond tofu. He glanced inside and saw Xiao sitting up, barely even half awake.

"Morning, sleeping beauty!" Venti said in a sing-song voice, going over and placing the dish on the nightstand.

Xiao rubbed his eye as he looked at the dish and then at Venti.

".. thanks." The adeptus said before leaning over and grabbing the plate, brining it over and sitting it on his lap. He then took the spoon and began to eat.

Seeing the opportunity Venti sat down on the edge of the bed and began talking to Xiao. He didn't talk about anything specific, just random thoughts that passed his mind.

Xiao would never say it out loud but he enjoyed Venti's non stop rambling, the sound of his voice was calming. Even so when Xiao finished his food he knew he had to leave to fulfill his duty.

The adeptus put the plate to the side and got up, moving over to the drawer and getting ready for the day. Noticing this Venti got curious.

"Where are you going?"

"To defeat demons." He said flatly as he grabbed his polearm.

"Oo can I tag along? I promise I'll be a great help to you."

Xiao glanced over at the bard and sighed. He'll tag along even if I say no...

"Just stay out of my way." He spoke sternly, heading to the window and teleporting to the ground. Venti grinned and followed, jumping out of the window and floating down.

And so they went around liyue, killing hilichurls and other monsters. Xiao found it surprising just how quick they were defeating the monsters together.

They were finished by noon, which was sooner then usual. They walked along side one another, a gentle breeze going past them.

"We should find a nice field to relax in, what do you say?"

Xiao glanced over at the bard and nodded.
I remember Verr Goldet saying some relaxation would be good for me.

-

Venti and Xiao found a nice spot and sat down.

"So, how's life in Liyue?" Venti asked to start a conversation.

"It's fine, I hunt monsters to protect the nation each day."

"You do that every day? Doesn't that get boring sometimes?" Xiao shrugged.

"It's my duty, I don't care to do anything else."

"Is that so.. maybe I should bring you to Mondstadt sometime and show you how to have fun!" Venti laughed as he gently nudged the adeptus.

He sighed as he watched the bard laugh and talk.
How is he so... happy... and why do I feel different when he looks at me, when he smiles something turns inside... what is happening to me..?

Is this what mortals call desire? No, adepti have no desire. Yaksha's have no desire.

"Xiao, Xiao, look!" He glanced over when Venti called his name. His eyes widened slightly as he saw a crown of flowers around the archons head, some petals tangled into his hair.

Xiao silently gulped and nodded in acknowledgment. Xiao knew something was changing about himself, he was always so cold and rude around others but he can never bring himself to be rude to Venti.

Is it because he's an archon or something else... Xiao sighed as he watched Venti make another flower crown.

I'll figure it out one day.